Can giant puddles get water into your crankcase? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Question Can giant puddles get water into your crankcase?

I was on the road when a severe thunderstorm came through. There was nowhere to pull over safely, so I had to keep going. It rained faster than the (flat) road could drain, and I wound up hitting some standing water. One puddle set off my traction control for a second, but the car drove normally.

When I got to my destination about ten minutes later, my engine sputtered a bit when I pulled into my parking space. When I started it about an hour later, it sputtered but then immediately smoothed out. I did see a clear line on the oil dipstick (oil-clear-oil), but the two-hour drive home afterwards was uneventful.

Is it possible that water might have gotten in through an engine oil leak, or through my aftermarket air intake? (The cone filter is where the factory resonator was.) I'm changing the oil in the morning regardless.

2008 Pontiac G6 GT convertible, 3.5L V6, 150K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 10:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I was on the road when a severe thunderstorm came through. There was nowhere to pull over safely, so I had to keep going. It rained faster than the (flat) road could drain, and I wound up hitting some standing water. One puddle set off my traction control for a second, but the car drove normally.

When I got to my destination about ten minutes later, my engine sputtered a bit when I pulled into my parking space. When I started it about an hour later, it sputtered but then immediately smoothed out. I did see a clear line on the oil dipstick (oil-clear-oil), but the two-hour drive home afterwards was uneventful.

Is it possible that water might have gotten in through an engine oil leak, or through my aftermarket air intake? (The cone filter is where the factory resonator was.) I'm changing the oil in the morning regardless.
It is not likely but you are changing the oil in the morning regardless what we tell you. So let me put this back to you. If you do, please tell us.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convertme View Post
It is not likely but you are changing the oil in the morning regardless what we tell you. So let me put this back to you. If you do, please tell us.
That clear band was still on my dipstick in the morning, but the oil looked like oil when it came out. Whatever made my engine stumble is long gone.

2008 Pontiac G6 GT convertible, 3.5L V6, 150K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in