Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Another rear power door lock challenge!

685 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  rebel65 
#1 · (Edited)
Well we've had this 08gt(4dr) for a month now, and the wife has found one more thing for me to "touch up" with it. Yup, as the title here says the rear locks don't work. Already have a pair of confirmed working lock/latches out of an 07 to install. NOT terribly difficult to do, just not much working room to do it. I found it much easier to take the outer handles off and bring the inner handle assembly out with the latch leaving the link rods attached for the door and manual lock nob. I'll see just how it goes for the install this weekend, when I'll be able to get the car away from the wife for a day!

So far all else has been good and wife VERY HAPPY with the car! :)

EDIT: Parts were free as the body was being readied for salvage(crushing) after engine and trans were removed for another use and how I got the practical EXPERIENCE of removal. Took me almost 2 hrs to get both out, but a lot less time doing the 2nd one!

#2 ·
Well the wife went for a days outing with her sister and brother in law today..Said I had to stay home and get the reap door power locks fixed.
The task is done. Had each original ones out in 20 minutes each. BUT the first install took some time in figuring(while doing)how to get everything back in, I have very large hands and thick forearms that didn't help the situation. But finally got it in and buttoned up. The other side went a lot quicker, having done one. Total time for both rear doors was 3.5 hrs(with a coffee break in that time, kind of a cool day here)!

Biggest headache was getting the manual lock rod hooked back up to the latch, was easier to have it off while installing the latch and inner door handle assembly.Smaller hands and thinner arm would have helped greatly!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.