2007 gt hardtop convertible parts issues - Pontiac G6 Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By 1of4885
  • 1 Post By boomer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2007 gt hardtop convertible parts issues

Ok, so first of all thanks for checking out my post, second, I must profess aside from basic maintenance and detailing im not mechanically inclined, so buy a used part and install it yourself is not an option or a solution. I currently have a 2007 gt hardtop convertible with 58000 miles on her. I only drive it in the summer months. Last summer I noticed a leak in the left folding top side rail cylinder. I took it too a body shop that also sold them(fleet sales?) He said he wouldn't touch it, recommended I just keep refilling the resovoir. So I did, recently the roof retracted and refused to go back up. Took it to an ex-Pontiac dealership,no other local shops would even look at it, they got the roof back up, but said because the part was discontinued they could not help me....ok...they recommended I take it to a larger dealership, so I did, they did a nation wide search and came up empty. I asked them if I found a used part could they install, absolutely not was their response, along with just leave the top up. Im currently located in Battle Creek, MI. I would appreciate greatly any help to resolve this issue, seems a shame that single cylinder discontinuation could stop her from going topless, if such a minor problem can cause such a horrible result, is it worth even keeping in storage, or do I find another car and use it as my winter car..j/s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 03:26 PM

First, here's a link to a vendor that repairs hydraulics...

https://www.tophydraulics.com/78-pontiac

These are knowledgeable people. Please read their notes. There are also used cylinders and parts available from eBay vendors at rather large prices. Rarely you can find one in a U_Pull_It type wrecking yard. (Consider replacing the cylinder on the other side too if applicable.)

If you source the cylinder you need (either from Top Hydraulics or a used part from an eBay vendor), you still need to find a shop that's willing to install it. This might be tough in your area, but there has to be someone that deals with specialty repairs.

If you have an '07 with such low mileage, it's definitely a keeper. I'm nowhere near as experienced with these as some others here who will likely chime in with more/better advice. Good luck.

Mark
boomer likes this.

Still standing in North Idaho...

Last edited by 1of4885; 09-05-2019 at 03:29 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:35 AM

I think the swap is simple enough to try for either a mechanic or a DIY'er. The ram itself is secured by two pins, one with a spring clip, the other with a grub screw. Once these are removed the rams slide out easily. See this thread for more of a description. One top tip is to get the top far enough open to remove the plastic trim by the rear windows and where the seat belt for the front seat comes through. That will allow you to get to the front pin on the hydraulic ram without loosing skin

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/2...aulic-ram.html

As Mark mentions, I would also suggest top hydraulics for the repair and would also recommend sending both sides. Once one fails, the other seems to soon follow. Good luck with whatever you decide
zenish likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in