@#?*"! Paint - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

@#?*"! Paint

OK, it's always something!!! Saturday night I was standing on my deck looking down at the top of my car. Looked like it still had some wax on it. I go down and look and then get my husband to look at it and I'll be damb if there's not a thin spot in my paint! It is on the roof of the car, in front of the On-Star antenna, right on the edge. It's very smooth, so you can tell it is just where it didn't get a good coat of paint on it. I was like WTF!!! Has anyone else noticed anything with their paint? I had said in 2002 after I traded in my 99 Grand Am GT that I would never own another Pontiac, and low and behold, I've got another one, with problems already!!

In case you want to know the problems are listed below:

99 Grand AM GT
brake problems - fixed every 6 months
leaking door (would soke floor board) did get fixed
bumper re-painted b/c paint was peeling off
There were more with the Grand Am, but it was 3 cars ago, so I cannot remember them all!!

05 G6 GT
Amp went out (replaced)
6 disc changer (replaced)
Knocking noise (fixed)
Paint PROBLEM (will call dealer)
This is a beautiful car and I love it, but it spends more time in the shop than it does on the road!

I should have stayed with Nissan!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 07:39 AM

... I have owned many different vehicles over the years and have read many different evaluations from various manufacturers and you can be assured that EVERY auto makers has problems and it is just a matter of how publicized these troubles are ... all brands go through years where they have problems and then years when they don't for example, at one time, it wasn't advisable to buy any foreign car (and in my opinion it still isn't ) but over the years they have caught up and in some cases may have surpassed North American versions ... anyway, got to remember one other thing too, both of your cars were/are new model introductions being your 99 GAGT and your 05 G6GT are in the first year of their design change so it only stands to reason they have to "get the bugs worked out" ... good luck!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 11:04 AM

robyn, i would definitely check with your dealer and you may not want to waste time with the service dept but go instead directly to the GENERAL MANAGER.

the paint swirls you mentioned first led me to believe that this vehicle has had paint issues before you bought it. as i had said, either there was some 'foreign' material on the paint like bird doo or tree sap. they probably tried to clean it first and when that didn't work (probably because you have a BLACK car and it show everything), they then tried to 'buff out' the spots. an inexperienced detail person will leave 'swirl marks' and may even buffed TOO MUCH and removed some clearcoat and paint!!!!

again, just my suggestion after working in a dealership for over 20+ years, drive right up in front of the showroom, walk inside and ask to speak to the General Manager. remain calm and take the Manager to your car and show him/her your issues. the G.M. will probably direct you to the service department and thats fine, but ask if he/she will accompany you. you might even have the service dept pull the service records for your car and see if any work was done in the Body Shop BEFORE you bought you car.

but remember, the main thing is to REMAIN CALM and you will get alot more accomplished than if you drive in and 'GO OFF' on the serivce dept. there may be a perfectly good explanation for this......please let us know what you find out, ok? good luck.

kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99grandamse
... I have owned many different vehicles over the years and have read many different evaluations from various manufacturers and you can be assured that EVERY auto makers has problems and it is just a matter of how publicized these troubles are ... all brands go through years where they have problems and then years when they don't for example, at one time, it wasn't advisable to buy any foreign car (and in my opinion it still isn't ) but over the years they have caught up and in some cases may have surpassed North American versions ... anyway, got to remember one other thing too, both of your cars were/are new model introductions being your 99 GAGT and your 05 G6GT are in the first year of their design change so it only stands to reason they have to "get the bugs worked out" ... good luck!!
I do agree that both the 99 GAGT and 05 G6GT were/are both in their first year of design. I tried to remember that when I got the GAGT, and had said that I was going to wait a few years before I got the G6, but I just couldn't. I wish now that I had. I have noticed that some of the problems I've had and others have had with the G6 are similar to some that I had with the GA. I have not had any problems like this with Nissan or Chevrolet, however you never know, then next car I buy, whether it be Pontiac, Chevrolet, or Nissan, may be worse than the 2 Pontiacs I've had. I realize Chevrolet and Pontiac are both General Motors, but I had a new 97 Cavalier and had absolutley no problems out of it. My Nissan's, Xterra and Maxima, were both good cars as well. I guess one day I learn to keep a good car, but for now I'll continue to trade every few years as always. And for anyone wondering about the rattle that I had, that was fixed a few weeks ago, IT'S BACK!!!!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2005, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Kevin,
I'll post it when I take it to the dealership. I know they hate seeing me come in there, but it's almost time for an oil change anyway.
Thanks,
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 05:53 AM

I have a spot right in the middle of the roof just infront of the sunroof where the silver base coat has been repainted...probably the size of a 1/2 dollar. The touch-up is totally invisible in the daytime but stands out at night especially under the mercury lights used in parking lots. The clear in that area looks fine though.

And for some reason there seems to be a lot more orange peel on the trunk lid, more than what is present on the rest of the car. But the paint colors match so I'm having trouble figuring out why the paint textures are different unless the trunk lid gets painted seperately at the factory which I doubt.

I'm going to write a letter to Pontiac noting these problems just in case I have future issues with the paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in