Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Disable Automatic Lights

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  e2helper 
#1 ·
Is there any way to disable the automatic lights on my 1997 Grand Am GT other than putting on the e-brake? I find them incredibly annoying and illogical--I mean, what's the point of fog lamps if the low-beams are on at the same time? :rolleyes: Oh and it's surprising, to say the least, when I'm driving at night in snow, pull up the e-brake to have a little fun, and the lights go off because I forgot to manually turn them on. :eek:

#3 ·
99grandamse said:
... well, first off, the DRLs are there for a reason but if you truly want to remove them, you might want to do a little research over at http://www.gaownersclub.com (our sister site) as I believe that I remember reading of a solution over there someplace :)
I don't mind the DRLs (though I would like to have control over those as well); it's the feature (or should I say nuisance) of having the headlamps turn on automatically in low-light conditions that I wish to disable. I like to control what my vehicle is doing and sometimes need to actually use the fog lamps without having the headlamps on.

#6 ·
Explr1 said:
If I shut off the ALC, my DRL's turn off. This is normal right?
Correct, with the G6 you have a momentary switch which allows you to turn off your DRL and Automatic Light control for that ignition cycle (the switch doesn't work like that for Canadian vehicles, however which have a legal requirement for DRL. For Canadian vehicles it only works when in Park or on a manual trans when park brake set).

Also on non-Canadian vehicles if you turn your headlamp switch to the Park position the exterior park lamps will turn on only - even if dark out.

The G6 allows you to easily run fog lamps without headlamps on (just parking/running lamps) by using either of these methods and then turning on the fog lamps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.