Disable Automatic Lights - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2005, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Disable Automatic Lights

Is there any way to disable the automatic lights on my 1997 Grand Am GT other than putting on the e-brake? I find them incredibly annoying and illogical--I mean, what's the point of fog lamps if the low-beams are on at the same time? Oh and it's surprising, to say the least, when I'm driving at night in snow, pull up the e-brake to have a little fun, and the lights go off because I forgot to manually turn them on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 12:46 PM

... well, first off, the DRLs are there for a reason but if you truly want to remove them, you might want to do a little research over at http://www.gaownersclub.com (our sister site) as I believe that I remember reading of a solution over there someplace
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99grandamse
... well, first off, the DRLs are there for a reason but if you truly want to remove them, you might want to do a little research over at http://www.gaownersclub.com (our sister site) as I believe that I remember reading of a solution over there someplace
I don't mind the DRLs (though I would like to have control over those as well); it's the feature (or should I say nuisance) of having the headlamps turn on automatically in low-light conditions that I wish to disable. I like to control what my vehicle is doing and sometimes need to actually use the fog lamps without having the headlamps on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 07:14 AM

... well, there are two features involved that you are describing and they generally work independently of one another ... the DRL (daytime running lights) and the ALC (automatic light control)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 04:55 PM

If I shut off the ALC, my DRL's turn off. This is normal right?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2005, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explr1
If I shut off the ALC, my DRL's turn off. This is normal right?
Correct, with the G6 you have a momentary switch which allows you to turn off your DRL and Automatic Light control for that ignition cycle (the switch doesn't work like that for Canadian vehicles, however which have a legal requirement for DRL. For Canadian vehicles it only works when in Park or on a manual trans when park brake set).

Also on non-Canadian vehicles if you turn your headlamp switch to the Park position the exterior park lamps will turn on only - even if dark out.

The G6 allows you to easily run fog lamps without headlamps on (just parking/running lamps) by using either of these methods and then turning on the fog lamps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in