Improving Gas Mileage - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Question Improving Gas Mileage

I'm getting lousy gas mileage. Granted, I drive locally 98% of the time but I do open it up and drive an hour away (and back) about 2-3 times a month....still the gas mileage is pretty lousy.

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-37119.cfm

Think this product will do anything?

How about the stupid thing that sits in the airfilter that you see on tv for sale around 3am? The tornado, or whatever its called.

How do I improve gas milage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 09:08 AM

I don't believe any of those miracle products. Especially not the tornado. I would only use proven methods and products.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

what are proven methods and products?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 09:34 AM

Tests that have been conducted by a reliable third party.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Is there anyway you can elaborate? Such as specific things I can do or buy? Cold air intake? Does that help? What are my options?
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 09:55 AM

I haven't modified anything engine wise on my g6 yet, but i know that quite a few other people have removed part and even all of the stock intake system which i'm sure would help with airflow, thus increasing a few MPG. If you decide to go with a CAI make sure that it has heat shields, and comes from a reputable company ie K&N, Injen, etc. Also, if you watch any of the car/truck shows specifically horsepower tv. They state that the tornado doesn't help with air flow by circulating it. it actually decreases the airflow by causing it to slow down. The whole idea of getting a new Air intake is to eliminate the bends and air pockets to create a smooth and fast flow of air.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

ahhh see, thats the kind of info i was fishing for. thanks! does anyone else know of any other ways to improve gas mileage?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrish
I'm getting lousy gas mileage.
What are you getting? I get 22 to 24 mpg driving around town with my Injen/cold air extention. When I go to Gloucester/Boston I get 34 mpg.

Last edited by Explr1; 10-12-2005 at 10:23 AM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explr1
What are you getting? I get 22 to 24 mpg driving around town with my Injen/cold air extention. When I go to Gloucester/Boston I get 34 mpg.
What did you get before the CAI?
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 11:13 AM

Be carefull with CAI, in cold weather you can actually lose gas milage because of it. You're sucking in colder, denser air which means you will be injecting more full to accomidate. I'm switching back to a WAI for the winter because I've lost about 4mpg now that the temp is down in the 50's.

As for the other product, I think all it is, is a capacitor... in a new vehicle (or any vehicle really) it won't do anything unless you have electrical problems, which you would want to get fixed anyways.

The best way to save gas is keep the rpms down on acceleration and keep it under 70ish on the freeway.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 11:59 AM

How bad is your mpg Irish?
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion
What did you get before the CAI?
With the stock intake and K&N filter it was anywhere from 19 to 23 in the city depending on if I ran the AC and driving conditions. Highway the highest I got was 32 with the cruise control set at 70.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

apparently i was wrong before, im getting a constant 19 miles a gallon. that still stinks if you ask me. i read reviews of this thing getting close to 30 and 34 highway.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrish
apparently i was wrong before, im getting a constant 19 miles a gallon. that still stinks if you ask me. i read reviews of this thing getting close to 30 and 34 highway.
19 in a city like Jersey/NYC is normal. Thats what I got during a week in Boston. Try resetting your fuel milage read out by holding the enter button for a few seconds before your next highway trip. If you do it while in the city, it will take for ever to read right. You should get 32 to 34 mpg on the highway.

Last edited by Explr1; 10-12-2005 at 01:57 PM.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 06:30 PM

wow, being an old man must be paying off!!!!

i'm getting IN TOWN 25.6, consistantly AND with the A/C on. had it out on the highway a couple of times, but never really thought to check it.

this past weekend i modified my air intake tube and removed the bottom resonator. my gas mileage since has been "only" 24 to 24.2, but i've had my 'foot in it' alot to see if i actually 'hear a difference'. answer to that question; NO.

but then i am old and maybe deaf too.....

one other thing. after the 'mod', i went out and from about 20 mph, i floored it. it actually 'chirped' the tires!!!!! or at least i thought until i read the thread about the 'serpentine belt squeal' on hard acceleration........i'm soooo disappointed!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in