Axle seal replacement - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Axle seal replacement

Does anyone have the procedure for axle seal replacement on the 4T40 or 4T45 transmission? I know it takes a special tool to replace the seal, but I'm trying to figure out if I can do it without the special tool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 08:20 AM

You might do it with out special tools. If you try it have more than 1 sleeve, you will ruin the first one.
The special tool you really need is the one to remove and install the sleeve.
I looked it up once, big money.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Come to find out, you don't even need the tool for the passenger side which is what I did. Just pull out the stub shaft and you can easily change it. I did it and it works great, no problems at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 10:28 AM

Right, but no stub on the drivers side.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:51 PM

I need to do mine also on Pass side. Havent tackled it yet, but was woundering if it was anything like a rear main seal. those I just drill two small tiny holes in metal outer ring of seal on each side and screw each small wood screw in seal about 1/4 way and use pliers to back seal out. Then on install, use the same diameter scocket or ring and tap new seal inplace. Makeing sure to lube seal surface.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

The T45E transmission uses what I call a 2 piece seal. There is a sleeve that goes on the stub shaft coming out of the transmission and then a regular seal that goes on the case. Once you get the stub shaft out (passenger side only, you cannot do this on the drivers side) you can remove the seal on the case easily. It will install back in with the "big socket" method or something similar. The sleeve on the stub shaft presses on and off, you can do this without the special tool if you are careful. then just put the stub shaft back in and your done. I used a slide hammer with a hose clamp to get the stub shaft out. It is held in with a snap ring. Just pull it tight so the snap ring gets in the grove then "pop"it out. I also found you can only get the seal at the dealer. None of the parts stores around here carried it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slls View Post
Right, but no stub on the drivers side.
how can i change both seal on the drivers side.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 03:39 PM

I just did this on my 05 Malibu LS V6. I managed to get the stub shaft off in one piece with the drive axle by using a pickle fork from the transmission side and prying outward. I then put the driveshaft in a vice and secured it on one of the 3 divots. Then used a pickle fork to knock the stub shaft off the end drive axle by the sleeve. Then over the vice, I punched the stub shaft through the stub shaft sleeve by tightening the vice on the sleeve and pounding downward.

Putting the new sleeve on, I pressed it on nicely in a press and the put the snap rings on. Then the new seal goes back in and then all the rest goes together...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 03:40 PM

I did the passenger side only.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 03:44 PM

Also the factory service manual says to replace the sleeve and seal together and never separately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in