My Recent Trip - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

My Recent Trip

well, i finallly got to take my G6 GT out on the road today. drove from Greenwood Indiana to Danville Kentucky. about a 3 1/2 hour trip. some interesting things came out of this trip.

1) filled up this a.m. ($2.23/gal, for you who would like to know), reset my 'trip odometers, average mpg and average speed and down the road we went. me and the 'girfriend (who will remain nameless to protect her identity and keep ME from getting in trouble with HER) anyway, set the cruise on 73 mph and got 31.9 miles per gallon.

2) on one of my 'off the beaten path' excursions, i stopped in a line of traffic behind a chevy van. at the last minute, i decided i needed to be in the lane to the right of me, so i cut the wheel sharply to the right to go around the van. funny thing happened.....the wheel turned about a QUARTER TURN and STOPPED, i don't mean that i lost my 'power assist', i mean it STOPPED!!!! after a second or so passed, it moved again and i was able to complete my lane change. is THIS the 'steering lock' that has been experienced by others?
i'm in the automotive business and have a mechanical and parts background and i'm telling ALL OF YOU....."This was no loss of power assist"....the wheel was totally unable to move, either way!!!!! i'm a big guy at 6'2" and 275lbs and when i tell you i couldn't move the wheel, BELIEVE ME, it couldn't be moved!!!

so, having said that, i am stopping in to see my dealer on Monday and tell him of my experience. if this had happened when i was travelling at 70+mph on the highway, well lets just say you probably wouldn't be reading this on the website but my obituary in the local paper....... :eek

has anyone else experienced this for the first time, or AGAIN???? please tell me your story as i intend to take them with me to the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 11:27 PM

now that the weather has been getting colder, my wheel has been locking again. This never happens at high speeds usually when pulling out of a parking space, I really have to fight with the wheel, and this doesn't happen at all in the summer.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 06:11 AM
MP2

wow, these are pretty scary claims. I'm glad I have the old fashioned hydraulic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 10:36 AM

Take it to the dealership...mine was doing the same thing...mine was a bad control arm. Serious safety issue!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

GTP owners & Steering Lock????

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP2
wow, these are pretty scary claims. I'm glad I have the old fashioned hydraulic.
interesting point.....are the control arms different on a GTP than on a GT, V6 or standard G6? i wouldn't think so. so if this problem was in the 'control arm' as Carissa249's dealer told her or actually in the ball joint as i suggested, why have we had no reports from GTP owners with the same concern???

any GTP owners out there that have experienced this 'STEERING LOCK' issue?

maybe the GTP's DO have a heavier duty control arm and ball joint and this is why we haven't heard any complaints from them, ya think?

Last edited by G6Action; 10-30-2005 at 11:39 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2005, 06:28 PM
PCB

I remember long ago on a vehicle I had with regular hydraulic power steering, if I turned the wheel quickly right and left several times, it would lock up as you describe. I figured at the time it was the pump unable to keep up with the demand of the steering unit. Maybe your issue is something like this? I can't believe it is a "control arm" issue. A ball joint or control arm would stay locked up or would only release with a resounding "CLUNK". This whole steering thing has me worried. I turn my wife loose in this vehicle every day, and I don't want this happening to her.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 06:59 AM

I never noticed anything different with my steering until it got cold outside. I usually notice steering stiffness if I just get in the car and go without letting it warm up. I say stiffness, maybe it is locking up. Usually when it happens I just let go of the steering wheel for a few seconds and try again. I've got to get my oil changed soon, so I'll check on my steering and this rattle that's come back when I go in.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn P
I never noticed anything different with my steering until it got cold outside. I usually notice steering stiffness if I just get in the car and go without letting it warm up. I say stiffness, maybe it is locking up. Usually when it happens I just let go of the steering wheel for a few seconds and try again. I've got to get my oil changed soon, so I'll check on my steering and this rattle that's come back when I go in.
hi robyn...stiffness it one thing, so i doubt that you have experienced this yet and i hope you never do. believe me, when it happens, YOU WILL KNOW IT!!!

please check with your dealer anyway to see if they had any similar complaints. i'm dropping my G6 off at the dealer tomorrow for the day. my service advisor said he had heard nothing about it, but that they would 'look at it'....which means if it doesn't happen to them, then they can't fix it.

guess i'll wait and see what happens. one member was told they had a bad 'control arm' which once replaced, would correct the problem. we'll see....
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:52 AM
GTP 06

Send a message via MSN to maykevin5
Buy a GTP it dosn't have electric steering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in