Reattaching the front air dam/foil repeatedly... - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to The Oracle Send a message via Skype™ to The Oracle
Question Reattaching the front air dam/foil repeatedly...

G'day group - ... I purchased my G6-GT back in March of this year. Got ALL the bells & whistles on her. I call her The Oracle. Black with black leather, panoramic sunroof, Monsoon system, remote start, etc... I virtually have not one complaint, BUT this one:

I have the reoccurring problem of having to reattach or refasten the plastic air dam/foil (beneath the front bumper area) into its plastic housing. It's construction is undeniably cheap first of all. I knew the car sat low when I purchased it. I now avoid parking blocks like the plague. Any subtle scrape on ANY material & as soon as I realize it, I am back on the ground backing out the cheap plastic molly-screws only to reattach the air foil & again tighten the molly-screws until the next encounter.

You'll pardon me if this has already been posted, but I couldn't locate it anywhere. I have considered replacing the molly-screws with a stronger material, but didn't know if alteration would void the warranty.

I haven't taken it into the dealership since my first dealership encounter (the day after I brought her home). Examining the heat shield under the hood, I found what appeared to be a finger hole in the shield. Note to self - always examine every-thing before it leaves the lot. I could only imagine the dealership telling me to be more careful & avoid scraping the front end of the car. Heck, the car is so new - I wanted to spend some quality time with it, even though I was on my back beneath it in lieu of behind the wheel.

I know, I could replace the plastic pieces with something stronger while at home & change it back to the plastic parts when it goes in - - but who has the time to do this just to satisfy the warranty issue?

Sorry, I am very long winded. If anyone has any helpful suggestions I would be most appreciative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 06:33 PM

I've popped mine back on twice as well. Curbs are a menace, so I have just made a habit of parking a few inches back from where I "want" to park. Took me twice to "feel" that distance, though.

Replacing the fasteners with something more substantial may very well cause an unintended side effect -- breaking the air dam rather than allowing it to pop loose. If you fix it in place, with no give like the current fasteners allow, it's likely to snap the plastic.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 06:52 PM

I've pulled up too far once and mine popped off. My husband cracked up and said he had been wondering how long it would take that to happen, but the good thing was it was easy to pop back on. I have since tried to pay a little more attention when I park. You would think it would stay on a little better though. My Z-28's never popped off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 07:14 PM

Robyn the airdam on the Z28 was made to take the punishment mine scraped all the time. LOL

I first noticed this issue on my G6 after the first snowfall. Its held on by cheap plastic screws so it just goes right back together. Hopefully it wont cost much to replace...ill probably need a new one after this winter.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 07:58 PM

haha.. it's inevitable.. i've put mine back on about 3 times.. just gotta be careful i guess.. wait until we lower our cars.. bumpers are going to be smashed haha
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-02-2005, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

It's sort of a relief to know that I am not alone in my misery... no offense gang! Remember when cars used to be made to last - at least past their warranty period(s)?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 10:36 AM

I haven't had this problem, and i have scraped probably about five times. (fingers crossed)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Something to keep on the back burner then; I'd hate to imagine how much $ to replace that piece of plastic...!?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion
I haven't had this problem, and i have scraped probably about five times. (fingers crossed)

You're lucky then. I only scraped mine once and it fell off. Hasn't happened since then though b/c I've been paying more attention.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 04:41 PM

Mine first popped after I drove through an freshly plowed section of road and hit the snow (which was still pretty high). It hasn't been the same sense.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-03-2005, 08:15 PM

I've bumped mine a couple of times and it has been fine. I had to fix my old Grand Ams a couple of times though.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 05:29 PM

I could be wrong but I think there might be a TSB on this. Anyone checked to see???
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob G
I could be wrong but I think there might be a TSB on this.
TSB... "T" Service Bulletin...???
Well, nonetheless... the reason that I'm bringing this back up is I went to tighten the hardward/plastic ware attaching the dam to the underside of the car & found it GONE! Now, this brings up a new question - what is the real purpose of this flimsy piece of plastic; who else has either lost or purposely removed this piece; & any ideas as to how much it would cost to replace it? Thanx forum!

Patrick [aka: The Oracle]
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle
TSB... "T" Service Bulletin...??
technical =)
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingfish
technical =)
Ragingfish~ Thanx pal. Now I need to search where to find the TSBs...

Well, as fate would have it I returned to a location where I parked in a particular spot two weeks ago only to find - yes - the piece of plastic that I'd lost somewhere on the road between here & there. What a stroke of luck!!!

Now I will re-attach it & the game begins again. Still I wonder why it isn't more sturdy a material & does it really do the job it was intended to do?

Patrick [aka: The Oracle]
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in