brake switch/light issues - Page 3 - Pontiac G6 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 06:41 PM

Brake Light Stays On

It's been a couple years since someone commented on the brake light issue. My 2007 G6 brake light stays on while I'm driving and goes off when I press on the brakes. Can someone tell me how they fixed the issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 106 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 12:40 PM

:beer:

so i have been having the same problem 2006 G6 GTP. and over the weekend i replaced the brake sensor switch and BAM fixed, well so i thought. i replaced it on Thursday and it worked for a whole 5 days and now i am having the same exact problems. does not want to come out of drive, (you have to hold the the gear shifter and then turn on the key) brake lights come on while cruising down the high way,(of course the cruise control don't work unless you ride the brake), also makes the brakes go off until your release pressure off the brakes then bam right on again. I have had the same problem about 6 times since 06. and everytime is was the switch. but what now? but now i can't afford to take it into the dealer since the extended warranty has ran out last month. i really don't want to get rid of this car she's by baby! could n e 1 send some tech advise my way place.
post #33 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 06:25 PM
G6 Enthusiast

Brake lights stay on

Hello all, Ive had this problem since i bought it 3 years ago. Well, my brake lights stay on constantly..even when the brake isn't being pressed. If i am driving on a highway, and i tap on my brakes, they go off for about 10secs, then come back on. I even replaced the "stop light switch" located under the brake pedal..2 times. What else could it possibly be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 06:58 PM

Garage
theres a TSB out for it and i told my dealer about it and they said mine wasn't covered (of course)...i had the same problem as you as well as my cruise control not working. i had my brake lamp switched and it worked for a while took it back, dealer took it out back and said okay well gm doesn't know what else so let us know if it happens again. strangely it never happened again...

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #35 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 07:26 PM

Had this problem mine was the pedel posistion sensor my 6 has the moveable pedels and the sensor got out of adjustment dearler fixed under warrenty hope this helps
post #36 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 07:31 PM
G6 Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorscott62 View Post
Had this problem mine was the pedel posistion sensor my 6 has the moveable pedels and the sensor got out of adjustment dearler fixed under warrenty hope this helps
thanks Gator, ill look into that since replacing the Brake light switch didnt work.

revertheclown, whats a "TSB" ?
post #37 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 07:53 PM

Garage
tsb is a technical service bulletin...let me see if i can find the exact one for you

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #38 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 07:59 PM

Garage
TSB Reference
#SB-08-05-22-009A

tsb's are made to bring problems and their fixes to dealerships/owners attention and are only covered by the dealershit if your cars in warranty...its not a recall

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #39 of 106 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 AM

BCM, corrosion on the connectors have been a problem, need to be lubed.
post #40 of 106 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 09:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to CharlesP2009 Send a message via Yahoo to CharlesP2009
There is a recall

There is a small recall for this problem now; apparently a limited number of 2005 G6's - but not mine >:-(

It has to do with corrosion on a Body Control Module connectors. All the dealer does with the recall is spray dielectric lubricant onto the connections. You can easily do this yourself.
post #41 of 106 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 09:30 AM

Recall, dielectric grease, and the Body Control Module

There is a small recall for this problem now; apparently a limited number of 2005 G6's - but not mine >:-(

It has to do with corrosion on a Body Control Module connectors. All the dealer does with the recall is spray dielectric lubricant onto the connections. You can easily do this yourself.
post #42 of 106 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 01:57 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghGT View Post
Check the NHTSA Website. There is currently NO FIX for this issue it plagues all of the similar GM cars with adequate on road time. (Malibu's and G6's primarily. Aura's don't seem to have as much road time or as many on the road).

At least one complaint on the site shows the dealership has been trying, replaced BPP Sensor (Note: this is not a switch anymore!), replaced EBCM, recalibrated BPP(Brake Pedal Position) Sensor, looked at several other options as well. Nothing has worked.

I am currently in the process of working with GM on this issue to get mine fixed under warranty. I am also going to start trying to push for a recall.

I ask that all owners check on their brake lights semi-regularly to see if they are on at times when the brake is not applied. This can be completed in a garage, on the street, in a parking lot, driving at night (note difference in light intensity with brakes applied), or wherever. If you see this fault report it to GM, and the NHTSA! As mentioned this is a serious problem that seems to be plaguing enough people to be seen as a design problem. Reported years 2005 to 2007.

Great post & good for you for sticking with this very dangerous problem. It definitely shakes my confidence in GM. This has to have caused accidents.

edit: I see I got caught in the old post trap but I don't believe there has been a real resolution to this yet as some of the attempts at fixes turn out to be only temporary fixes.

Last edited by greenman; 08-22-2011 at 02:06 PM.
post #43 of 106 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:12 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesP2009 View Post

Unfortunately, the connector fretting corrosion fix has not fixed this for many. Or seemed to help only temporarily.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
Make : PONTIAC Model : G6 Year : 2006
Build Dates : 2005-01-01 - 2005-01-31
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 09V036000
Date Owner's Notified: 2009-02-17 Date Received by ODI: 2009-01-30 Date Added to Database: 2009-01-30
Manufacturers Involved: GENERAL MOTORS LLC
Manufacturer's Responsible for the Recall:
Manufacturer Campaign Number: 80317
Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 8012
Summary:
GM IS RECALLING 8,012 MY 2005-2006 PONTIAC G6 VEHICLES. THE BRAKE LAMPS MAY NOT OPERATE PROPERLY BECAUSE OF CORROSION IN A WIRING CONNECTOR. CORROSION IN THE CONNECTOR COULD CAUSE THE BRAKE LAMPS TO ILLUMINATE WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL HAS NOT BEEN DEPRESSED, OR THE LAMPS MAY NOT ILLUMINATE WHEN THE BRAKE PEDAL IS DEPRESSED. IN ADDITION, THE CRUISE CONTROL MAY NOT ENGAGE, AND GREATER BRAKE PEDAL FORCE MAY BE REQUIRED TO SHIFT THE VEHICLE OUT OF PARK.
Consequence:
BRAKE LAMPS THAT ARE NOT OPERATING PROPERLY MAY NOT WARN A DRIVER IN A FOLLOWING VEHICLE OF THE BRAKING STATUS AND COULD LEAD TO A CRASH WITHOUT PRIOR WARNING.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL APPLY A DIELECTRIC LUBRICANT TO THE CONNECTOR TO PREVENT CORROSION. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FOR YOU FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 17, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT PONTIAC AT 1- 800-620-7668 OR OWNER CENTER AT WWW.GMOWNERCENTER.COM.
Report Initiator: ODI V Report
Regulation Part Number: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number:
Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 80317.CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 'TTY 1-800-424-9153', OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Last edited by greenman; 08-22-2011 at 02:24 PM.
post #44 of 106 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 06:13 PM

Exclamation

Searching elsewhere on the web shows that more and more people are having this problem. When I first experienced the problem 2 years ago no one had a clue what it was so I ended up wasting money replacing the brake switch to no avail.

Whether you've fixed the problem or not, I STRONGLY recommend that all people experiencing this issue go to http://www.safercar.gov/ and file a report about the problem. It's important that you enter your VIN on the report so we cab get a wider recall for this issue.

Last edited by CharlesP2009; 08-22-2011 at 08:41 PM.
post #45 of 106 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 07:26 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesP2009 View Post
Searching elsewhere on the web shows that more and more people are having this problem. When I first experience the problem 2 years ago no one had a clue what it was so I ended up wasting money replacing the brake switch to no avail.

Whether you've fixed the problem or not, I STRONGLY recommend that all people experiencing this issue go to http://www.safercar.gov/ and file a report about the problem. It's important that you enter your VIN on the report so we cab get a wider recall for this issue.
So far then you've replaced the brake pedal position sensor & lubricated the BCM connector/s & that has not solved it for you permanently?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in