Please help! Survey Time! Steering? Shaking? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Please help! Survey Time! Steering? Shaking?

Hi everyone! As you can see I have had PLENTY of problems with my car! Sooo...I need anyone that has had similar problems as mine let me know! Im going to print the responses and take them to my dealership! This is why....

If you look back at my other threads I have had BOTH lower control arms replaced on my car for the steering locking up. Since I have got it back the car still pulls to the right and shakes. They claimed they did an alignment to the car...

I took the car back in yesterday for the following:

***Brakes squealing

***Broken power window button (no biggy)

***Shaking when I leave for work in the morning and the car has set over night. The shaking is so bad you can hear the change in my cup holder shaking, my coffee spills and my Sirius Radio vibrates on the dash

***Car pulls to the right

They have claimed they can NOT duplicate the problems other then the window button.

They also said they spoke to a couple of G6 owners and theirs also shakes furiously so its "normal"

So Im picking up the car AGAIN tonight...so if anyone has had similar problems other then the window button please let me know and what was done to fix the problem. Steering locking up, shaking, pulling, tires wearing unevenly...etc! Thanks!!!!!!

These people have no clue so maybe a couple hints will get it fixed!!!!! Im waiting on word about the case thats open on the car currently...hopefully Ill get my money back! a 28k dollar thats really not worth a whole lot at this point...makes me sad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 03:45 PM

again, sorry to hear you are having soooo many problems.

please refer to the thread i started as 'steering lock up survey/report' as this has a few other owners, their VIN's and assorted info regarding the steering wheel locking up. i know of no POSITIVE fix for this but a couple have had their steering columns replaced and have not had it happen since. i have not had mine done yet, but i think i will very soon.

as for the other problems you have had, i can't say i've experienced any of those and i can tell you for certain that my G6 GT does NOT shake when it is cold, or when it is hot for that matter. there has got to be something wrong with yours if it shakes that bad.......definitely not 'NORMAL'!!! maybe if it were a '71 Vega i would buy it, but not your '05 G6!!

if it is only shaking when cold, then ask them for a loaner car and leave it with them overnight so that they can see what it is doing for you BEFORE its warmed up.

good luck and keep us updated, ok?

kevin
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 04:03 PM

Quote:
***Shaking when I leave for work in the morning and the car has set over night.
That one is most likely the tires themselves. Where they sit overnight and you start out, once you've travelled a mile or so it smooths out, right? and/or it could be a belt broke in one or more of them.

Quote:
***Car pulls to the right
Again, tires if those are still the ones you had that were worn on the edges, otherwise alignment or tire pressure, don't take it for granted that they are inflated properly. I'm assuming that the pull isn't just when braking.

Last edited by Bob G; 11-16-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 05:18 PM

BOB - that might explain things a lot.... considering I drove my car for the first time this morning in cold weather and the shaking was driving me crazy.. once I had driven a ways it completely went away. Hmmm.. Note to self.

As far as brake squealing I thought it had to do with my not having ABS... does it 99% of the time. Annoying and makes my car sound like a big POS.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER99
As far as brake squealing I thought it had to do with my not having ABS... does it 99% of the time. Annoying and makes my car sound like a big POS.
Brake squealing is a different kind of animal. That could be dirt on the pads/rotor, but more likely it could be that the rotors or pads has "glazed" have you ever had to get on the brakes really hard for more than a second? like maybe on a downhill grade and someone switches lanes right in front of you? Good link to noises http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troub...a011902a_2.htm
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 10:16 PM

I am pretty hard on the brakes...so thats about every day of its life. I already chalked it up to smaller/cheaper brakes than I was used to... so maybe different pads would help out..but I am 100% positive my rotors are warped. *sigh*
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 06:44 AM

My brakes squeal every now and then, I have not mentioned it to the delaership b/c I figured there was no point. My 99 GA GT had to have new brake pads and rotors every 6 months b/c the dealership couldn't figure out what the problem was. I usually notice the break squealing stopping at red lights in town. Steering feels extremely stiff, could be locking I'm not sure, but usually on first taking off in the car and the sterring makes a clicking noise.

My most embarassing concern is the struggle to start the car. Every time it does this I feel like crawling under the seat, but I did witness for myself another G6 GT the other day starting and struggled as well. The lady in the car, you could tell, was throwing a fit.

I'm still trying to trade this car. I am now working with 2 Nissan dealerships. They've got some discounts, plus I'll get a discount for trading in a GM car.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 07:10 PM

The shaking and pulling IS one or more of your tires.

When I took mine in after a couple of weeks and mentioned the vibrating/shaking when the tires are cold, the service manager said "Damn Continental tires. I wish they'd stop using them." When I asked for clarification he said that they are prone to flat-spotting, especially when it's cold. He offered to replace them with another set, but said they would likely do the same thing. IMO, that's a bad sign.

I got rid of them, and the shaking and pulling disappeared like magic. The ride is much smoother, too. My wife actually thanked me for spending $500!!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otcpharm
The shaking and pulling IS one or more of your tires.

When I took mine in after a couple of weeks and mentioned the vibrating/shaking when the tires are cold, the service manager said "Damn Continental tires. I wish they'd stop using them." When I asked for clarification he said that they are prone to flat-spotting, especially when it's cold. He offered to replace them with another set, but said they would likely do the same thing. IMO, that's a bad sign.

I got rid of them, and the shaking and pulling disappeared like magic. The ride is much smoother, too. My wife actually thanked me for spending $500!!
what brand and model did you go with? i was thinking changing mine to michelin or yokohama....i've had good luck with both, but i especially liked the yokohamas. thats what i had on my Accord when i 'moved up' to an SUV.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Action
what brand and model did you go with? i was thinking changing mine to michelin or yokohama....i've had good luck with both, but i especially liked the yokohamas. thats what i had on my Accord when i 'moved up' to an SUV.
Yokohama Avid V4S. I've also found that they grab like crazy on wet streets - unlike the Continentals which seemed to lose traction when it even LOOKED like it was going to rain. I hate to say it, but I'm actually looking forward to some snow so I can try them out.

I'll be switching to these on everything I own, if they have a size to fit.

Last edited by otcpharm; 11-17-2005 at 07:36 PM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 07:35 AM

Carissa, Sorry to hear you are having so many problems. Although, it makes me feel pretty good. We have had to have one door seal replaced and that is the only problem so far at 12,000 miles. We picked up our 6GT in march of 05.

First, I would recommend taking the car to another dealer.Also could contact GM customer service. If not satisfied there,try taking the car to an independent tire/repair facility. A good place that repairs cars and sells brand name tires. I am talking like a Goodyear franchise.
Explain the problem of the shake and pulling to them. I would agree with Bob and otcpharm that the tires are at fault.
I would think you would be much happier with the car if it didn't shake or pull.
Sorry for the long winded answer. That is my opinion. I am a mechanic, have been for a long time, 25 years or so, but, I did not stay at Holiday Inn Express last night.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the help...

I have called GM Customer Assitance NUMEROUS times. Right now this fiasco is being investigated by the BBB Autoline. GM finally realized I wasnt messing around and called me when they were contacted by the BBB. I wont know anything more until November 21st.

I know that the shaking is from the tires. Im so tempted to go back to the dealership and ask them if I need to do their jobs. I have been the one to tell them about the TSBs on my car! Did you all know that there is a TSB out for the tires flat spotting on the GTs?

I did leave the car at the dealership overnight which they test drove it the next morning and it didnt shake they said. But they knew exactly the problem I was talking about because they have other G6 customers that theres does it too! Thats when they said that its normal!

We'll just play the waiting game for now...
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 06:56 PM

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents....

I got my 06 GT new and it was shaking like it was out of balance.
I went in to my dealer and got all 4 tires balanced. The shaking is gone now and the car rides smooth.
I could swaer though sometimes the shaking returns but I think it may be me paying too much attemtion to it but overall the ride is much smoother.
I have approx 4000 KM's on it so far and the contenentals have been ok. The cold weather has arrived and I will be keeping an eye on the tires for the "cold flatspotting" everyone is talking about.
I also think we may need to take into account that the GT has a firmer suspension and larger wheels which will contribute to a less cushy ride but if you notice considerable wheel shake then obviously there is something wrong.
Just my 2 cents and I hope everyone gets their shaking resolved (there has to be a problem here for so many to have this issue, perhaps the ppl at the factory don't know how to balance tires?)
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anth_97
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents....

I went in to my dealer and got all 4 tires balanced. The shaking is gone now and the car rides smooth.

I also think we may need to take into account that the GT has a firmer suspension and larger wheels which will contribute to a less cushy ride but if you notice considerable wheel shake then obviously there is something wrong.
Had the Continentals balanced twice at two different places...didn't help either time.

The G6 is the "cushiest" ride I've ever owned. Everything I've owned before was much firmer than the G6, either from the factory or DIY.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

My dealership said that the Continental tires flat spot causing the shaking. Theres nothing you can do about it besides replace your tires with another brand of tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in