2006 G6 GTP A/C blowing warm air and car randomly would not start - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

2006 G6 GTP A/C blowing warm air and car randomly would not start

Hey everyone,

This is my first time on here and my car knowledge is extremely limited, but this is a problem I would prefer not to pay a show $65/hr to look at.

One day this past week my 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP's air conditioning suddenly went lukewarm. The day I woke up to bring it to the dealership to have it looked at, the car would not start and took a jump to get it going. Later that day after the dealer told me they did not have time to examine the vehicle properly, it sat for about 6-7 hours. It died again. It took a jump after waiting about 10 minutes to get it going. Since then, the car has started fine. The A/C is still warm, though. This EXACT same situation happened a few months ago and the dealer replaced the battery and re-programmed the Electronic Control Module in the car. Have not had a problem since until this week. Autozone showed the alternator and battery are both great, but something obviously was draining the battery. Dealership said they believe it is a wiring issue and they want to do some looking at it, probably at the cost of about $60/hr. I simply cannot afford that. My car knowledge is very poor but if there is any help on if the two are related or what the issue may be, it would be greatly appreciated. Simply a recharge for the AC? Why would it happen twice? Wiring issue possible? Anything is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 12:44 PM

Garage
idk about the battery issue but my AC blew warm when i first bought my vehicle used and the dealership said the freon level was virtually non existent so they threw some in there with a tracer dye to check for leaks...no leaks detected, freon level im assuming is good and i have had snow blowing out since!

2006 Pontiac G6 V6 3500L
Crimson Red
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Dont take this wrong but you are hitting the little snowflake button to engage the compressor, right?

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Moderator Member Thingy

Send a message via AIM to Abyssul Send a message via MSN to Abyssul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampoon View Post
Dont take this wrong but you are hitting the little snowflake button to engage the compressor, right?
Doesn't that come on automatically? I would guess his freon levels are low.

2006 Pontiac G6 GT

Appearance Mods: AIT front bumper, Black Eagle Eye Halo Projectors with DDM Tuning 5000k HIDs 35w,
GT door decals, painted interior trim, red calipers, de-chromed window trim
Performance Mods: WAMS tune, CRABS, aftermarket sound system

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 01:35 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssul View Post
Doesn't that come on automatically? I would guess his freon levels are low.
After doing vast research on this subject given that I have had the same A/C problem the past few weeks and paid the dealer $80 and hour to have them 'not be able to replicate the problem', I can unfortunately say that this is an issue that the G6 and Solstice have had for a few years. The A/C blowing warm/hot air while in A/C mode and at the coldest intensity with all lights working properly, etc. is a common problem for the G6 and the Solstice. Many of the Solstices' rolled off the showroom floor with the problem and if not, incurred them within the first 15K miles on the road. It is not a freon issue at all unfortunately because that would be way too easy to fix for about $40 doing it yourself. The issue has always seemed to be spread out between either the HVAC wiring behind the control panel, the A/C temp sensor (located next to High end valve on A/C line under hood), or the compressor's clutch not engaging.

His A/C problem and the dead battery problem do not seem to be related, just possibly coincidental?

My advice (and what I wish I had done this past week) is to take the car to the dealer while it is blowing hot air so they can view the situation while it is happening. If you do like I did, and park it there, drop off the keys, and allow them to have it for a few days, they might not be able to replicate the problem at hand.

Just my 2 cents...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 03:44 PM

I know this is a long shot since this was posted so long ago, but do you remember what finally fixed your car issue? You have described exactly what is happening to my son's car.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:04 PM

If your AC is intermittent (as in it will work well some of the time) then I would check the gap on the compressor clutch plate. With age and wear the gap can get to the point where the clutch slips and will not fully engage the compressor. This can change with heat due to metal expansion. To properly adjust I believe you need to remove the plate and remove shims in the shaft to get the appropriate gap. Another more "redneck" method is to add a shim the springs on the front of the clutch plate which can be done without removing it. I used individual strands of cat 5 cable and bent it round the spring so that it cannot be flung free when rotating.

Hope it helps and good luck with your fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in