Computer Modular - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 03:34 AM Thread Starter

Computer Modular

A few days ago I was walking to my car from the apt. and I used the auto start to start it up. When I did the car made the most horrible sound, seemed like the starter was stuck! It kept making this sound like it was trying to turn over until I was able to run to the car and put the key in the dash. At this point I turned the key hoping it would turn over, but it did not. I turned the key back and removed it and the noise stopped. I tried starting it again, this time it made another horrible sound and would not start.

I have heard sounds like this before with my previous car, it was the starter and it was stuck, however on that car I had to actually pull the cord off the battery to get it to stop, I guess I lucked out this time.

I was able to get it into the shop and they determined that the Computer Modular part was bad. Apparently this part controls power usage or something like that. They said that my battery was drained and that is why it wouldn't start for me. Bullshit! Why did my starter act like it was stuck for 2 minutes then. If my battery was drained I would think that it wouldn't even turn over at all, let alone get stuck. So they have had my car for the past 4 days so far. They got the part in yesterday and said it would be ready around 4, but I guess they forgot to check if they recieved the correct part because shortly before 4 they called and said it would be another few days because they have the wrong part.

Does anyone know if my starter could possibly be damaged from that bad start I had? I would think they will check to make sure it starts at the shop, but I'm talking long term damage. I don't want to have my starter go bad a few months after my warrenty is up.

Has anyone had a similar problem like this, and what was the solution?????

This is not like the problem with the PCM that others have described. I have that happen quite often and this was completely different.

Last edited by problazer; 12-02-2005 at 03:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Found this post from a while back. Problem sounds similar to this.

https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295

Reference
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 04:12 AM

i've experienced a similiar occurance with my G6 GT. doesn't happen very often.
when it does, its like the soleniod on the starter 'hangs up' and the starter stays engaged. i believe its something in the ignition switch or, possibly, the starter but wouldn't rule out a 'control unit' of some sort. i have read previous posts on this and figured theres no rush to run to my dealer if they are going to tell me its common for this engine to do that. my question is; "Whats the design of the engine got to do with the starter remaining engaged while starting?" sometimes i wonder what these people are thinking, you know? but i'm under warranty for some time yet, so we'll see.

if i were you, my main concern would NOT the damage to the starter,as it can be easily replaced. my concern would be any potential damage to the FLYWHEEL as this might not show up for thousands of miles AFTER you're out of warranty!!!!

but in my circumstance, i was't using the remote, just my key. even though i have the remote start, i have yet to use it. now that its cold, i may use it at work to warm up the car, but it sits in the garage at home, so no good there.

let us know exactly what your Repair Order stated as the repair, as i'm sure a few of us would be interested as well. they said they were replacing the 'Computer Module', but which one? i work at a Mopar dealership and these vehicles have many 'Computer Modules' on them. if you don't have a better description, maybe you can give us the Part Number?

thanks and good luck with the repairs.......

Last edited by G6Action; 12-02-2005 at 04:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 03:29 PM

Engine control module has complete control over the time that the starter solenoid is energized. I think dealer has an informational TSB of sorts to let them know that there have been complaints of this but no "root cause" determined yet.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

I got my car back this week and this is what they told me. "Checked electric load, BCM drawing 150 mili amps" They replaced the BCM, and gave me the car back. Worked ok for about a day. Got in the car the next morning and it would not start again! Took it back to the dealer and they said the battery was bad now. So they replaced the battery and everything seems to be working ok, for now. I just hope there is no long term damage from when my starter was stuck for 2 minutes because I don't think they even checked that out. I guess they figure, since its working now they're not going to touch it until it completely dies.

Anyway, they ended up charging GM close to $6000 for the BCM and the labor involved and over $100 for the battery and labor. Glad it was still under warranty. Can't imagine what I'm going to do when the warranty is up. If I'm having problems like this I'm defiantly gonna sell it shortly after. This was my first new car purchase and I'm wishing I would have went with a different car. The Passat is looking really good right about now.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by problazer
I'm wishing I would have went with a different car.

I feel the same way.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by problazer
The Passat is looking really good right about now.
Obviously you haven't read about VW quality in the last 8 years... that car would do nothing to improve your current situation.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbengt67
Obviously you haven't read about VW quality in the last 8 years... that car would do nothing to improve your current situation.
He's right about VW's. I've got a friend who got a VW, unsure what kind of VW, but the transmission fell out at about 7000 miles.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 02:59 PM

I know people who are on their third VW (in the past 2 years).. nothing but problems and the 2nd one had lemon law pulled on it. Their quality is definately going downhill. Funny thing is everytime someone talks up BMW they always say "Germans know how to build a car" ... I think they forget about VW or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in