Flight Recorder Box In my G6 for steering! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

Flight Recorder Box In my G6 for steering!

Hi everyone! Well I got my car back after a month of arguing with dealerships and pontiac and GM. And still....NO solution!! The dealership still talks as if Im the only one in the whole wide world with this problem. So this is what they did...they installed what they called "similar to a flight recorder box" in my car. So when the steering locks I hit a red button that activates the recorder and it records whats happening in the car. So its locked up on me 3 times in the last 24 hours. Only one of the times was the lock up for an extended amount of time. The other 2 times it was just a second or two of locked steering. The extended time it happened was approx. 10-15 seconds. I was coming to a stop at an intersection and was turning the wheel to follow the curb and continue my turn and it wouldnt budge. So thats the only update I have for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 08:21 AM

I'm having the same issues with mine. The service aSSvisor told me that the computer regulates electrical power consumption, and steering is towards the bottom of the list. Say it's winter, like now, and your running the heater/front defogger on high as well as the rear defroster and your lights and you have to stop, the computer is going to apply most of the power to the brakes and less to the other area like the streering. They told me that the steering issue can be fixed by reflashing the computer. I'm curious, do your lights dim, or the ventalation motor die down when the steering locks?

Last edited by Explr1; 12-07-2005 at 08:27 AM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 09:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Oracle Send a message via Skype™ to The Oracle
Exclamation

You know, all these steering issues having me thinking that not only do you all have the most incredible amount of patience going through all the similar occurences that you have, but were it me (thankfully I have not yet encountered this problem), I would raise holy hell with the dealership & demand immediate resolution to this problem in lieu of the service department's excuses. The dealership remains open for one reason: customer satisfaction! "I" would be anything but satisfied if I knew my (or my passengers) safety was in jeopardy even for seconds. When anyone buys a NEW CAR, they expect that the machine is reliable & will get them to & from their destinations SAFELY! NO ifs, ands, or buts about it. If they can't exchange their product to make the consumer happy then, it's time to drop it off & seek out something more reliable. I know we love our G6s, but if they let us down, what real good are they?! Pose this question to the salesman that sold you your G6 & see what back-pedaling doubletalk you get... then seek out the general manager. This is just UNFORGIVEABLE! I am so sorry to have to read about everyone's downfalls when it comes to what should never have happened.

Patrick [aka: The Oracle]
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

to be quite honest I dont notice if the lights dim or what not im too focused on trying to make sure I dont hit something or end up in a ditch! Next time it happens Ill try to see what all is going on. Thats rather ignorant of GM I must say! The focus of the electronics goes other places rather then the steering? I cant imagine the computer getting flashed or reset helps matters. It sounds like poor engineering to me.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 02:43 PM
PCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explr1
Say it's winter, like now, and your running the heater/front defogger on high as well as the rear defroster and your lights and you have to stop, the computer is going to apply most of the power to the brakes and less to the other area like the streering.
OK, let me get this straight, we have ELECTRIC brakes in our cars???
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 02:44 PM

No.. but the rear lights and power assitance (abs, traction control, wheel sensors, etc) may draw a lot of current. (Just a guess. )
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 03:07 PM

hey, maybe we just need to have GM 'beef up' the electrical system by putting a higher output alternator on it!!!

they still have ALTERNATORS, don't they? or does the G6 use a form of the 'flux capacitor' that was used in the DeLorean in 'Back to the Future'? maybe i should get Michael J. Fox to check out my car......i'd probably have just as much success!

.........oh the madness!!! where does it end???
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle
You know, all these steering issues having me thinking that not only do you all have the most incredible amount of patience going through all the similar occurences that you have, but were it me (thankfully I have not yet encountered this problem), I would raise holy hell with the dealership & demand immediate resolution to this problem in lieu of the service department's excuses. The dealership remains open for one reason: customer satisfaction! "I" would be anything but satisfied if I knew my (or my passengers) safety was in jeopardy even for seconds. When anyone buys a NEW CAR, they expect that the machine is reliable & will get them to & from their destinations SAFELY! NO ifs, ands, or buts about it. If they can't exchange their product to make the consumer happy then, it's time to drop it off & seek out something more reliable. I know we love our G6s, but if they let us down, what real good are they?! Pose this question to the salesman that sold you your G6 & see what back-pedaling doubletalk you get... then seek out the general manager. This is just UNFORGIVEABLE! I am so sorry to have to read about everyone's downfalls when it comes to what should never have happened.

the only reason I"M patient is that i work in a dealership and know how the system works (or more times than not, DOESN'T WORK). i feel for these service departments who have owners come in with an 'intermittant' problem and they can't duplicate it. believe me, the LAST THING they want to tell you is 'sorry, could not duplicate the complaint'. but the bottom line is that if they can't find out what is failing, then they don't know what to replace. and GM will NOT reimburse a dealership their time, effort and cost of the parts to just 'guess'....they have enough money problems as it is!

my complaint with some of these service departments i have read about is the way in which the owners have been treated, or actually MISTREATED.
also, the fact that everytime an owner contacts anyone at GM, they are told that 'this is the first we've heard of this' or 'theres not been one single complaint about this, nationwide'!!! thats just pure B.S. and so it goes to show you its no wonder GM is in the situation it's in........GM's begging for business and then when they get it, they pretty much tell their customers to 'go piss up a rope'!!! DOH!!!!!

stepping down now!!!!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCB
OK, let me get this straight, we have ELECTRIC brakes in our cars???
Everything is "fly by wire" in the G6 V6 and GT. Steering, throttle, brakes, even the gear shifter, it's all electronic from the controls to the actual system.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explr1
Everything is "fly by wire" in the G6 V6 and GT. Steering, throttle, brakes, even the gear shifter, it's all electronic from the controls to the actual system.
when you say 'fly by wire', that reminds me of, obviously, todays aircraft.

but if you are telling me that my steering in my G6 is like the steering in an aircraft, in which there is no direct link from the steering wheel to the rack & pinion unit, i would have to disagree with you on that. all G6's, regardless of if its equipted with EPS or if its the GTP model, DO HAVE A STEERING COLUMN and it DOES attach to a steering shaft which DOES connect to the Rack & Pinion. so there IS a direct link in this case. in the case of the throttle, yes it is all electronic. i won't comment on the brakes and gear shift, since i have not researched these areas.

but if you have a G6 with EPS, just look under the hood and coming off the drivers side firewall and attaching to the rack is the steering shaft. if it was truly 'fly by wire', it wouldn't be there......sorry
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

I Am Livid!!!! I Have Had Enuf!

Ok everyone....youre really going to love this! So yesterday I picked my car back up at noon. The guy in service told me to drive the vehicle...hit the button when the steering locks etc...and to bring it back on Dec 20th to get the computer read. Well when it locked I sent my salesman a text telling him...his reply was hit the button and of course I already had...today I actually caught the lock up on my video phone and sent it to him. He called the service dept and they were pissed off because I didnt bring it back in immediately. They told him they told me to bring it back immediately which he didnt head nor did i...they flat out are lying. So the service manager asked him if he knew me "personally" because he was willing to do "alot" for me if I was just a regular customer. My salesman and I met the day I bought my car and I have only talked to the guy when crap goes wrong with the car they sold me! So this guy is now insinuating that I am doing something to the car to make it lock up or we are making this whole thing up! So my salesman drove an hour on his day off to pick my car up and drop another car off to me to use. The service manager said I should have it towed there since Im working and cant drive it to them. RUDE! This is getting flat out ridiculous!!! GM, service, Pontiac...NOBODY is willing to help!! They are all morons!!!
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 05:41 PM

This is interesting... Progressive just sent me a letter saying after January they will forgive my first accident (4+ years no accident policy or something). Hmmm...haha
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER99
This is interesting... Progressive just sent me a letter saying after January they will forgive my first accident (4+ years no accident policy or something). Hmmm...haha
Nothing new or unusual about that.

I've had that "first no-fault" for over a year now - something they started to draw new customers and keep existing customers from bailing on them.

Sure would come in handy with your steering issues, though.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 06:30 PM

man if I were you, i'd just careen into a car or tree or something, and then just sue GM. You'd definitely have a case, and you won't have to worry about your car anymore. Like the one thing that's gonna be on my mind if I lost my steering is to press a button! yea right!

Mike
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 09:05 PM

haha no kidding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in