Oil Change Notification - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Oil Change Notification

When I first got my car at 40% the oil change indicator would come on. I check the other day and I'm at 34% and I have not been notified to change my oil. I know it's time, but the notice was an extra on the car. Has anyone else had this stop working? It no longet tells me "possible ice", either. I'm assuming something maybe wrong with this sensor? Go figure another minor problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 12:02 PM

If your oil life monitor is at 34% it wouldn't be time to change the oil, so why do you expect the message? How many miles have you driven since the last change, what type of driving do you do? More information is needed.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 01:59 PM

Yea, mine reads 28%, and I haven't gotten anything yet. Don't sweat it, oil's good for a year.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 03:21 AM

Was at the dealer to change oil 1st time at 3 000 Kms. They stated to wait for the alert, BUT NOT MORE THAN 6 MONTHS whatever the milage.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 07:29 AM

The change oil will come on at 10%, then you have a while to get it done.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette79
Was at the dealer to change oil 1st time at 3 000 Kms. They stated to wait for the alert, BUT NOT MORE THAN 6 MONTHS whatever the milage.
Perhaps the dealer should talk to GM. GM advises the maximum change interval is 1 year.

As do, oddly enough, some of the companies that produce the oil.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn P
When I first got my car at 40% the oil change indicator would come on. I check the other day and I'm at 34% and I have not been notified to change my oil. I know it's time, but the notice was an extra on the car. Has anyone else had this stop working? It no longet tells me "possible ice", either. I'm assuming something maybe wrong with this sensor? Go figure another minor problem.
it's highly likely that they've incorporated a "break-in" procedure where the oil needs to be changed earlier for the first one or two changes. but we'd need the details as to what mileage the light originally popped on at to know.

i wouldn't worry about it. the oil life monitor in GM vehicles is based on RPMs and heat, startups, and a few other factors that calculate oil life regardless of the vehicle it's installed in. my Saturn uses around 7 quarts of synthetic oil in a 2.0 liter engine, and with my insanely hard driving, went 7500 miles before it came on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in