G6 has a mind of it's own! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

G6 has a mind of it's own!

I've waited a while to post about it, but since i have been able to duplicate the problem almost everytime i try, i thought i would let everybody know. I would also like to know if other people have had the same problem. Problem: If i don't let the car warm up after letting it set for a full day, put it in reverse and barely push the gas pedal down, as soon as i let up off the gas pedal the car will lurch backwards as if i pushed the gas pedal half way down. I then have to slam on the breaks to avoid hitting somthing behind me. This is not good at all, and is scary to think that the car could leap backwards when it feels like it. The only Solution i have come up with is to let it go through its warming up cycle and then put it in reverse. It seems that when it is doing its warming cycle in reverse that when i let up off the gas the idling increases so that may be where the increase in speed is. Let me know if anybody else is having this problem because i would hate to see something bad happen when you least expect it. Thanks - Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 11:40 AM

I personally have never had nor heard of this problem, but you are right in thinking that its a scarey thing to have happen. The only thing that I can personally think of is pretty much what you touched on, the high idle at start up after the car has sat for a while. Basically next time you let the car sit for an extended period of time, before putting the car in reverse let the RPMs drop to normal and see if the problem persists, should only take less than a minute or so to drop back down, thats the only thing I can think of. Seems as though you are just jumping in the car and putting it in reverse a little to fast?! IMO though...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 11:47 AM

sounds like a trottle by wire issue to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 12:57 PM

Does this only happen when you're in reverse? How fast are you going when you let off the gas? Does your car have ABS or traction control?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 04:10 PM

Not an issue here, but I agree that the electronic throttle could be a problem.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbengt67
Not an issue here, but I agree that the electronic throttle could be a problem.
+1

if its still under-warranty take it to the dealer have them do a diagnostic on it, any faults should show up on the computer regaurdless of an engine light. They are usually nice and give out a loaner. Better to do that than be at a wal-mart parking lot and BAM ya know?
jeff
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weller
Does this only happen when you're in reverse? How fast are you going when you let off the gas? Does your car have ABS or traction control?
It's only when i put it in reverse, and i'm only going 1 or 2 MPH. Yes it has both ABS and Traction control.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:36 AM
GTP 06

Send a message via MSN to maykevin5
might be a problem with your foot pedal sensor.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 04:03 PM

it should be idling high since its an initial cold start, so it could be compensating the idle while its still in gear. also, you could have a throttle body full of carbon which would get your throttle plate stuck. get carberator cleaner and a small brush and clean it. it'll start up a little rough-normal. just press the pedal down all the way real quick and quickly release it. should help.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 11:46 AM

I've had the same problem with my '05, but when comparing it to all of the other problems, I haven't worried too much about it. I just know to keep my foot close to the brake.
Today, my car won't start. I'm sure it's the battery, but now that I've said that out loud, it will surely be something much more expensive.
I've had problems w/ the car starting sometimes. It will start to turn over, but sputter and die. There is no common thread when it happens (hot, cold, rainy, dry), it just happens. They replaced the fuel module, but that didn't fix it. Just lucky it's documented before the warranty was up.
Had fuel leaking from somewhere, took two trips for them to figure it out. The tank wasn't sealing or something.
Car would sputter and die shortly after I first got it. Not fun when you're going down the highway. Can't remember what they replaced then.
Bad thing is, I had an accident in it after I bought it. $17,000 in damages. Now there is no way I could sell it for the note on the bank.
I don't recommend the car, and probably won't be buying anymore Pontiac vehicles. Prabably steer clear of Chevy's too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in