automatic headlight control - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

automatic headlight control

One of the things that I really missed about my trade-in on my G6 is that the headlights would come on when the wipers had been turned on for more than just a swipe.... can the control module (or was it actually the computer) for this that was on my 04 GP, be used on the G6?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 02:37 PM

G6 has same type of feature
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking the headlights only came on when it was dark or gloomy out and not with the wipers, as ever since I bought the car they have only worked that way. Hmmm.. However, there have been times when the headlight sensor has turned on the headlights in fairly bright sunlight especially when using remote start. Maybe I have a defective module?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 03:10 PM

I am pretty sure that the G6 has wiper activated headlamps although they might take a little longer to activate than your GP. However since the vehicle already has reduced intensity low beam Daytime Running Lamps from a headlamp standpoint alone it won't look too much different - but with full headlights on the front and rear parking lights would also turn on.

Headlight sensor does look straight up into sky and so you can have bright sunlight on horizon (morning/late afternoon) where system will still be in nighttime mode. There is also a delay in transition from night to day mode.

When you are in remote start mode (actually in remote start mode) only the exterior parking lights are on - due to that function.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
When you are in remote start mode (actually in remote start mode) only the exterior parking lights are on - due to that function.
True, what I should have said and meant was that once I get in the car and turn the key, the headlights are turned on. This occurs about 75% of the time when I use remote start. About half of those times they will turn off within a couple of minutes but I have had them to stay on. Like I say, it's been far brighter out than necessary for them to be lit.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 08:26 PM

As a follow-up the headlamps/parking lamps do turn on when you activate wipers in daytime - takes about 10 seconds for them to come on. When you turn off wipers they shut off in about 10 seconds as well.

At least that is how my 2005 G6 works
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Cool, thanks e2helper, will give my dealership a call today to complain about a faulty module.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 07:30 AM

do we know how to kill the headlamps in park?

i wonder because my wife's alero has this feature (auto headlamps) and if we have to stop by somewhere and i just run in (with car facing house) the lights stay on and i find it annoying. i know there is a special sequence you have to do (i.e., hold brake, turn key to on for so long, turn off, turn back on for so long, etc.) to disable the auto headlamps. note that what i say above is just speculation, as the dealer informed us of this but we never did it (we were looking at an impala at the time).

might be something usefull for others to know if it's doable.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 08:17 AM

Much easier on G6 - there are a couple different ways. All of this in owner manual

If you want lights completely off you rotate the headlamp switch to a momentary position which toggles auto lights control (or DRL) off for rest of the ignition cycle (whether you are in Park gear or not). DIC displays "Auto Lights Off". Rotate switch to that position again to reenable Auto Lights.

Or you can rotate the headlamp switch to the Park lamp position. This will override DRL or Auto lights at night and just have parking lights on.

If you don't want any lights to come on at all when you start vehicle then you need to do a special sequence as well. Turn ignition to ACCY, rotate switch to OFF and then start the vehicle. Then the Auto Lights won't come on initially.

For Canadian owners most of this operation only works when vehicle in Park (auto trans) or park brake set (manual trans) because of legal requirements for daytime running lamps and for "white light" at night.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 09:19 AM

that's it, i'm stoping the questions until we pick it up and i read the manual

nice to know i can disable them though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in