Dash backlighting - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Dash backlighting

I asked my service manager about this one, he wasn't really sure, and he forgot to tell me if he found anything. Figured I'd have a better chance of finding out here if it's a by-design thing or a problem.

Does anyone else's dash backlighting NOT turn on if you manually turn the switch to on AND it's not dark out? Normally, I wouldn't care. But the auto light sensor doesn't seem sensitive enough, and the other night, at dusk, I turned on my lights myself, and the backlight didn't come on...but it was a bit tricky to see. Eventually it did...but I don't know when...I just remember noticing it was on all of a sudden.

Is the lighting tied into the ALS and it won't turn on unless it's dark enough? Or is my lighting circuit screwy...thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 02:46 PM

Mine does the same thing. The dash lighting only comes on when it's dark enough out.

Mike
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 04:03 PM

You are describing intended function. When you turn on lamps manually with switch but the auto light system thinks it is still bright out you get put into what is called "Parade Mode". The exterior lights come on as you command them. However what also happens is the emissive displays (radio, odometer, auto climate control) instead of "step dimming" like they do for nighttime driving stay at full intensity. Unfortunately the backlighting of switches and stuff like cluster remains off.

Called Parade mode because vehicles in a parade often turn on headlights during daytime (also vehicles in a funeral procession do same).

There isn't really anything a dealer can do about this condition - it is by design.

Actually there MIGHT be something they could try with their Tech 2 but it would result in those emissive displays "step dimming" as though it were nighttime and then you would probably be unhappy with that condition and say you can't see the radio display or the odometer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Ok, at least it isn't just mine.

But next question -- is the sensitivity of the ALS system adjustable? It seems to wait TOO long sometimes to turn the lights on...and it turns them off too early sometimes...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 08:48 AM

that is an awsome question, my windows are tinted and it seems that it harder then all get out to see my display when its dusky out!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 10:40 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingfish
Ok, at least it isn't just mine.

But next question -- is the sensitivity of the ALS system adjustable? It seems to wait TOO long sometimes to turn the lights on...and it turns them off too early sometimes...
I'll trade your sensor for mine, 04 Malibu auto lights come on when the sun is still shinning.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingfish
is the sensitivity of the ALS system adjustable? It seems to wait TOO long sometimes to turn the lights on...and it turns them off too early sometimes...
It is not adjustable. The light sensor looks directly up into the sky and overcast sky conditions actually look bright to a light sensor.

I typically see opposite complaint during morning or late afternoon with clear sky conditions where the light sensor thinks it is dark out. However because you are looking at the horizon you see a lot of light from rising or setting sun.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 11:44 AM

I think that this was one of the most piss poor ideas ever thought up, like I had said espeically if you have tinted windows and you can barely read your instrument panel!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 12:14 PM

I never turn my lights on or off, but it seems like my dash lights, and I guess the headlights are on more than they are off. It needs to be a really bright day for the ALS to turn the lights off.

Sometimes I have a hard time seeing the radio display because it is dimmed due to the dash lights being on when the ambient light is bright.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 01:22 PM

Now I've got a question for you G6 owners.

Is there an autolight off feature on the G6? Like, on my mothers 04 Trailblazer, I can override the autolamps, so they don't turn on when they arent necessary.

The Grand Am didn't have this feature, and it pisses me off.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 01:56 PM

I already posted this in another thread I think but yes the G6 has a 4 position headlamp switch (now common on many current GM vehicles). 4th position is momentary position which allows you to toggle auto lights (and DRL) OFF or back ON. It is momentary so that it only lasts for that ignition cycle.

Vehicles initial sold in Canada work slightly different because of legal requirements there for DRL.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 04:27 PM

e2helper it should be so that you can turn the head lights off but leave the DRL on, the way it is now all or nothing. When I want them off I go to parking even though I don't want my tail lights on, but I want to be seen.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 05:14 PM

Not sure I understand exactly what you are trying to do but you do have quite a bit of flexibility with lighting.
Leave auto light control enabled which operates DRL (reduced intensity low beam headlamps) during daytime and full headlamps/parking/tail lamps at night.

Turn off auto light control to disable DRL during the day and head/park/turn lights at night

Reenable auto light control at any time with same ON/OFF switch

Turn the headlamp switch to park lamp position which just turns on the park and tail lights keeping off the headlamps.

Turn on full headlamp, park/tail lamps during the day by using the manual headlamp switch
As I mentioned above some of these modes are not available on Canadian vehicles

Last edited by e2helper; 01-10-2006 at 05:23 PM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 07:45 PM

^ Not to mention turning the DRL and auto lights off, but hitting the fog light button and having them turn on, I use the fogs as my "DRL" a lot of the time.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 11:26 PM

ditto!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in