Scratched rims - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Scratched rims

I scratched up my right front rim on the curb the other week. It's not horrible, but it's certainly noticeable. I've got the 18's, but not the ultra brights. Anyone have any suggestions on smoothing out the scratch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 09:03 AM

Check your yellow pages for rim shops, if it's not THAT bad, they may be able to spot fix/refinish for as little as $50. We had rims on a Cutlass damaged by a shipping company a few years ago and two wheels were badly damaged at $150 apiece, and the left rear had a dent in the lip that they were able to fix with a spot repair that only ran $50. Couldn't tell they had been damaged once they were done working on them.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip. It's not horrible but it's more than just a little scratch.

Does anyone know if there's potential for more damage like rust if I don't get this fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 09:50 AM

Alluminum doesn't rust, but salt can eventually eat away/pit the alluminum over time enough to make it look unsightly. It shouldn't cause any driveability issues but may throw off the balance a little if there's a chunk missing. But if as you say it's just a scratch, then you could leave it as it is or if you want it fixed (cosmetics), see a rim shop and have them refinish/spot fix it. There were literally chunks missing of the lip on 2 of the rims on our Cutlass and they fixed it for that $150, and that one rear wheel had a dent (about 1/3 inch deep) in that side lip and they only charged $50 for that which is more complicated to fix than a small scratch. Can you take a picture of the scratch?

Last edited by built4drivers; 01-18-2006 at 09:52 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

I can take a picture, but I'm not sure when. It's raining today and will dark by the time I get home. Maybe I'll pull out a flashlight or something.

Sounds like something I should get fixed, but it doesn't need to be done immediately.

Also, is this something the dealership may be able to fix? I may just wait until my 6k free oil change. Although the dealership may just tell me I need a new wheel or charge me way more than an independent place.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 10:31 AM

The Body Shop would be able to fix if they have the facilities. If they don't they'll probably just send it out to a rim shop anyway. I found out, when we were getting estimates for the shipping company, that none of the dealerships here had the facilities to do rims and were just sending them out to Alberta Rims to get the work done. So we just ended up taking it directly to Alberta Rims, and they were anywhere from $25/per rim to $200/per rim cheaper than the dealer body shop. One body shop wanted to put 3 new rims on at $800 apiece!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 10:34 PM

I thought I read a post that said the chrome rims on the G6 were plastic covers or something. Is this not the case, or are you talking about a different set of rims?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 07:49 AM

Hi problazer,

He has those 18" 5-spoke wheels instead of the 17" Chrome Tech's, like in the picture here. The Chrome Tech's are a plastic 'hubcap' over a rough aluminum shell though.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 03:58 AM

were the 18 inch rims available on the 2005 model?

I wish I would have got those instead, that is if they were available.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

18" rims are only available on the GTP. 17" are only available on the GT. I don't know if it was different for 2005, but I doubt it.

I'll try to get a picture of the wheel either tonight or sometime tommorow. I've been busy lately.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Main scratch is on the top spoke. Also some scratches along the left edge of the rim. I'm not too concerned with those as I'm sure there will be more of those to come over time.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 10:58 PM

have u thought to try any kind of scratch remover type wax (mothers), and then putting a nice coat of wax on them?!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 06:16 PM

Got to love flangeless wheels! As said before, a good body/wheel repair shop should be able to make that shine like new again.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in