G6 became a vegetable - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

G6 became a vegetable

Well, after a carzy A$$ snow storm last night, here in chicago, this morning when i went to start my car and let it warm up for 20 mins, i was going to work, i put my car in reverse and it didnt move NOT EVEN THE WHEELS MOVED. I gave it some gas and it still didnt move, i could hear the motor but the wheels where stuck or frozen btw i cleaned the drive way before i started the car.

I had to park my car out side on the drive way last night, in the storm, because it couldnt pull it self in to my garage, CHEAP TIRES. After an hour battle with the car to make it move this morning i decided to take the cab.

I had to leave the driver side door open cause the windows where frozen and i couldnt close the door, i already hit the frame 3 times this morning trying to to close the door. I have a coupe.

Anyone know how to solve the window problem??
i was thinking about using hot water to melt the ice away but didnt have time..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 08:41 AM

I wouldnt use hot water, if the glass is to cold it will break it... Just a deicer or heat from inside the car!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 10:31 AM

I keep an ice scraper in the trunk for just that situation. Carefully run the scraper along the edge, but don't tear the rubber seal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 04:25 PM

I don't have a coupe but I'm guessing the windows were frozen in the "all the way up" position. You might get some silicone lubricant and apply it to the rubber seal around the window area. I saw someone make a comment on this a while back.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 04:35 PM

I'd warm up the car before opening the door, if you don't have remote start try crawling in from the trunk. People with BMW 3 series coupes have the same problem and thats what they do.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 05:37 PM

I've had the same thing happen here in Cleveland on my coupe. Whenever I know the temp will drop below freezing, before I shut the car off for the night, I leave the heater controls set to 80, turn the fan to high, and turn the airflow to the dash vents , and then aim the drivers side and pass side vents right at the side windows. Usually after 10 minutes it will be warm enough to start to melt the ice on the glass, but once I had to do the 2nd remote start. Of course this only works if you have the remote start. Otherwise the deicer is best, and SimplyRed is right, hot water can shatter the tempered glass.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2006, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbengt67
I'd warm up the car before opening the door, if you don't have remote start try crawling in from the trunk. People with BMW 3 series coupes have the same problem and thats what they do.
I had a BMW 3-series coupe and that's what I did. The window would freeze and not seal properly every winter. The wind noise was terrible. But it would work fine again when the weather warmed up.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your opinions and yes i do have a remote starter. Every time i turn my car off i make sure everything is off even the heater controls. So next time i'll remember to set them when i leave my car.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 05:02 PM

Too bad the heated seats can't be preset to come on as well !!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 06:10 PM

^ If I had leather I would be upset about that too!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 07:19 PM

There is some question about how well a heated seat actually will pre-heat when your rear isn't in it
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 03:13 PM

^ Interesting point!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2006, 03:52 PM

Hi all, I am new here, and the comment about the seats heating without being in it is true. I lost the remote start because I wanted a 6sp Man., so I have to run outside and start the car myself. I turned on the heaters on the seats, and they didn't really warm up til after I sat in it...
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 08:24 AM

Sounds like you had some frozen brakes. I've had this happen on a pick up I owned. The pickup was geared low enough that I could overcome the ice by putting it in reverse. Not necessarily true on this car. You might could try using some windshield washer de-ice fluid on the brake calipers...just an idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in