Vibration & Rear Deck Noise - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Vibration & Rear Deck Noise

Not sure if this has been posted here yet. I apologize if it has. My 06 G6 has a little vibration, not much, but is noticeable mainly at speeds above 60. It also seems like it shakes a little on take-off, which almost feels like the wheels are loose or something.

Also, the rear deck where the rear speakers are mounted flaps up and down tremendously when the rear windows are down. It makes a really loud noise that sounds kind of like a couple of subs. It stops if the front windows are down.

I've taken it in twice for both problems. The dealer said they can't fix the rear deck. They even put on those window visor things to see if that would alter the wind flow, but it didn't do anything. They rebalanced the left side tires the first time for the vibration. The second time they replaced the lower A arm bushings on both the left and right sides (I believe that's what they said). It's still doing it. I'm supposed to go back to the dealer any time this week to let the service manager ride with me to feel the vibration.

This sucks bad. Just bought it in October, and it only has about 4200 miles on it now. What gives? Anyone else experiencing these problems, and if so, did you get it resolved? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 10:12 AM

My rear deck vibrates like crazy at speeds sometimes...my bass usually stays loud so i dunno if thats whats doing....
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Also, the rear deck where the rear speakers are mounted flaps up and down tremendously when the rear windows are down. It makes a really loud noise that sounds kind of like a couple of subs. It stops if the front windows are down.

Ive never seen my rear deck move but I know what you're talking about when the rear windows are down. At about 40mph with the rear windows down it feels like your ears are going to burst because of the noise and pressure. It sounds like your parked next to a helicopter or something. Funny thing is...if one of the front windows is down just a little bit, the noise stops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6~Mike
Ive never seen my rear deck move but I know what you're talking about when the rear windows are down. At about 40mph with the rear windows down it feels like your ears are going to burst because of the noise and pressure. It sounds like your parked next to a helicopter or something. Funny thing is...if one of the front windows is down just a little bit, the noise stops.
This happens with just about every car with only the back windows down. Something about how the air is flowing around the car and pressure buildup. I found an explanation somewhere once but I forgot.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, I figured that out about the front windows being down. Weird how that works. It's freakin loud too. Oh well, makes me feel a little better that you guys have heard of this too. Thanks for the replies
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 06:15 PM

The way that the rear parcel shelf is attached on our cars is pretty poor, mine rattles like crazy when I listen to a lot of bass. The shelf pretty much just slides in under the C-pillar trim and the folding seat bracket, it only sits there, there are no clips to hold if down.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius
This happens with just about every car with only the back windows down. Something about how the air is flowing around the car and pressure buildup. I found an explanation somewhere once but I forgot.
I've had an 88 lesabre, 89 Deville, 2001 & 2004 bonneville and not one of them had this problem with the rear windows down.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbengt67
The way that the rear parcel shelf is attached on our cars is pretty poor, mine rattles like crazy when I listen to a lot of bass. The shelf pretty much just slides in under the C-pillar trim and the folding seat bracket, it only sits there, there are no clips to hold if down.
Have you had your rear deck out? I took mine out to replace the 6x9's. Its sorta heavy and has a lot of padding/insulation on the back side so it shouldn't rattle. You might want to pull yours out and maybe add some more padding. Sometimes when they are built the padding will get caught on something and get all bunched up underneath. Maybe that is where your problem is coming from.

I can tell you that I will never remove mine again unless I blow a speaker.....having the side curtain air bags makes removal a lot more difficult
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 08:10 PM

I had the same problem and the dealer took the rear deck apart and put it back in. Apparently one of the clips wasn't set right back there. Speaking of, does anyone hear a rattle in the roof of their coupe?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I've had an 88 lesabre, 89 Deville, 2001 & 2004 bonneville and not one of them had this problem with the rear windows down.
Maybe not, I'm sure it has a lot to do with the shape of the car. It has definitely happened to me in other cars.

I also noticed something vibrating today. I really couldn't figure out what it was, but it seemed like certain bass notes really caused some vibration (music was loud, but not blaring). Johnny Cash actually causes the worst problems vibration wise.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 07:02 PM

I noticed the vibration in the G6, Xterra, Avalance, Maxima, and Trailblazer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in