chassis flex - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

chassis flex

I just turned over 13K and I'm starting to notice a lot of chassis flex. When I go around corners or even turn in parking lots, the body is flexing so much, the retractable sunroof sun shade in the roof moves and rubs the opening. Anyone else starting to experience this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 03:34 PM

I can hear mine flex every time I pull into my parking lot. We have about a 45* angled approach from the street and it really stresses out the G6.

I'd have to say it flexes just as much as the day I drove it off the lot (I have approx 12,500 miles on it) and I don't think it's getting any worse. However, I dont have a hole in my roof either.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 03:50 PM

wear and tear sucks doesn't it? Suspension upgrades will help a little, like a strut bar, if there even is one available. There's a possibility that the strut bar off the Malibu may fit on the G6, but you have to order it through the dealer.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPGuy82
wear and tear sucks doesn't it? Suspension upgrades will help a little, like a strut bar, if there even is one available. There's a possibility that the strut bar off the Malibu may fit on the G6, but you have to order it through the dealer.

Mike
RSM has a strut bar for $300.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 06:39 PM

$300? Damn, I wonder what the malibu one costs....

Mike
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 07:57 PM

I would definatly be interested in a strut brace especially once I lower the car.. with my rims and tires and lowered suspension I'll be takin corners something wicked!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 04:39 AM

Ya know, a couple of months back I posed just this question regarding braces and everyone jumped in and said "buy lowering springs the chassis is stiff enough"... what's happened since then??? I'm still interested in knowing about the Malibu SS brace, if one of you checks it out, post your answers.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Designed For Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPGuy82

Mike
Strut tower braces will only tighten up your strut towers and give a better steering feel. Strut braces will not help with chassis flex. You would need something like 'subframe connectors',to address a chassis flex issue.

Crimson Red G6 GTP Coupe / 6 MT

"Power And Performance Beyond OEM Restrictions"
'Sold**8/14/2008, but not forgotten'
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 04:32 PM

True... but wouldnt it help is body roll which I'm sure aids in flexing??
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Designed For Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyRed
True... but wouldnt it help is body roll which I'm sure aids in flexing??
Body roll would be helped by stiffer sway bars bushings and/or a thicker sway bar. Higher rate springs are important also.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 03:10 PM

The body flex on my car is getting increasingly worse (14,500 miles now). I can literally look over and see my door shift in its frame. From the outside it looks like the bottom half of the door sits in further than the top half. The headliner rattles are pissing me off as well. My old Fbody at its worst didn't have near as many squeaks or rattles... This is definately turning into the biggest waste of money ever.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Designed For Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER99
The body flex on my car is getting increasingly worse (14,500 miles now). I can literally look over and see my door shift in its frame. From the outside it looks like the bottom half of the door sits in further than the top half. The headliner rattles are pissing me off as well. My old Fbody at its worst didn't have near as many squeaks or rattles... This is definately turning into the biggest waste of money ever.
Have you taken the car in for service to address these issues? Unless, the car can't be repaired through warranty, it's not wasting your money.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 08:00 AM

When you consider I could be driving a lot of different cars that DON'T have these issues...IMHO its a big waste of money (car payment and insurance). Especially considering the Insurance catagory this heap falls into.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 08:24 AM
Designed For Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER99
When you consider I could be driving a lot of different cars that DON'T have these issues...IMHO its a big waste of money (car payment and insurance). Especially considering the Insurance catagory this heap falls into.
Your car was the first model year for the G6, so there are typically some issues that require attention.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 11:23 AM

I understood I would have some issues... thats why the BCM reprogram for my door locks/truck didn't bother me much. The problem is I have had more issues than a typical first year car IMHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > Problems and Solutions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in