Air Tool Question - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Air Tool Question

So I have a small 6 gallon, craftsman air compressor that runs up to 150 PSI, CFM at 90 psi is about 3. I'm wondering if anyone has used this small of a compressor with an air impact wrench? I would only use it for tire rotations really so it wouldn't get heavy use.

The CFM required on most of the ones I've looked at is around 5 but google search has some folks that say it's ok but the compressor will just be running more.

I've received good advice on here before so I am hoping to some thoughts.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Re: Air Tool Question

The compressor will run it. But it will kick on more. Once you're done it would be a good idea to go around and hand torque all the lugs to be sure they're all tight enough.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 02:16 PM

Re: Air Tool Question

Should really use a torque wrench to put the lug nuts back on and make sure they're to the right specs. Don't over torque them. Specs are in the manual I believe.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2009 Techno Gray Metallic G6 GXP Sedan (3.6L Auto6 112K miles)
---
CRAB Intake Opt 3 w/FPU, Lloyds GXP floor mats, HIDs low 6000k 55w/fog 3000k 35w, LED DRLs behind lower grills, V3 Triton LED turn signal/reverse/brake, LED side markers/maps/dome/tag/trunk/high mount stop, 2 coats niteshades on tails, Tint 35% all around, Debadged (except arrows), PAC IPod and BT adapters, PowerStop D/S rotors and ceramic pads, Resonator repl w/24" cherry bomb, Racingline STB, Big 3 Upgrade, Optima Yellowtop D75/25, Blacked out arrows, chrome window trim and black dipped wheels, KYB struts and shocks, CM lowering springs, Cherry Bomb Vortex Crossflow muffler, 2.5" pipe from axle back, two 4" stainless double walled slant tips
...still working...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 10:49 PM

Most torque wrenches to obtain maximum force (350+ft lbs) is overkill anyway, and you can damage the threads/bolts/hub, etc. If the compressor can remove the bolts, kudos. It's best to hand torque the nuts between 90-110 ft lbs.

I have a small 6gal compressor also. It's decent for what it is and what I paid for it versus a 240V compressor that would require me to rewire the garage. Anyway, mine is rated at 2.8 CFM and has a 50% duty cycle. Meaning, if it runs for 10 minutes, it should be off for 10 minutes. To go from 0-125psi doesn't even take a minute. My compressor is oil lubed, which knowingly helps durability. I don't use the compressor with an impact wrench, but it's great to use with an air ratchet and other lighter tools for things that don't require super high torque.

I change the oil out twice a year and don't have any issues. I use it quite a bit between three vehicles, a motorcycle and multiple small engine equipment.

'11 Ram SXT 4x4 quad cab - 5.7L V8; 128,200kms
'09 Malibu 2Lt 3.6L - 140,000kms purchased 1 March 2019

'06 Pontiac G6 GT - 3.5L V6; 162,000kms (rear ended 15 Feb 2019, and given totalled title by insurance)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2013, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, if I do get one it would only be for removing the lug nuts. I'd continue to use my torque wrench to tighten them to make sure I've got the proper torque. I can't tell you how many times I've struggled with lug nuts that are obviously over tightened by shops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in