How long for coolant? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

How long for coolant?

How long should a tank of coolant last?
I went to Jiffy lube and got an oil change(never again)
they forgot to top of my reservoir for coolant(called them and went back)
when I went back, they added a clear liquid from a flower watering like container. When asked if it was water they told me that it was actually a coolant that is universal for ALL vehicles(because my car takes a special kind). Does that sound correct as far as their coolant being clear and acceptable for my car?

my other question is, how long does a tank filled to the line last?
I drove about 5-6,000 miles before going for another oil changed(at a mechanic shop, they don't top off coolant) but I just looked at the reservoir, and its almost empty. I can see more coolant in the tank, but it's quite low.
Is it normal to have to basically fill the coolant tank after 6,000 or so miles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 08:18 PM
G6ADDICT

Garage
I could be wrong but that doesn't sound right to me. I don't think you should be that low on coolant everytime u get an oil change...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbullADDICT View Post
I could be wrong but that doesn't sound right to me. I don't think you should be that low on coolant everytime u get an oil change...
I did ALOT of driving. Im talk chicago to ny around ny back to chicago around chicago down to florida around florida and back to chicago. Many many miles and a good amount of time in between.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Your coolant level should never go down unless you have a leak. Periodically topping it off isn't needed unless you're spewing coolant somewhere and need to keep going.
As for a cooling system flush, that's a different story and should be done every so often. Not sure what the recommended interval is but I bet its around 100,000 miles.

The only "universal" coolant I know of is yellow. Chances are they topped it off with water. Jiffy lube is one of the shadiest and worst shops I've ever had to deal with. Nationally... ha
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 10:40 PM

My bet is a slow leak somewhere, maybe radiator or water pump? I have a slow leak from my radiator, not a huge deal, I just know to keep an eye on my coolant level till I get around to fixing it.

My Progression

Mods: BMD Performance Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Performance Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 12:29 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

I would bet a slow leak is likely from a hose connection or more likely from a gasket somewhere. I understand the crossover gasket is an issue on some V6s
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 02:34 AM

My car suffers from a slow leak since day 1 which the dealer is incompetent to fix.

The dex-cool is a long-life coolant and is good for 5 years. It is also a sensitive coolant and has been known to cause major engine damage. The risk is much higher if you let the coolant runs low; mix it with other coolants; or run it longer than 5 years.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 03:41 AM

I had the same problem. The dealer ship said I had damaged fin in the radiator that was causing my leak. They wanted 800+ to replace. He said I would be fine as long as I keep adding coolant. I went to Walmart and bought a cheap bottle of radiator leak stop ( around 7-10 dollars if I remember correctly). I did not get the kind with the large pellets. If you interested in trying it I will find out the exact product for you. Since I used it, my coolant level has not changed. Not a cure all but I haven't had a issue (knock on wood) in I over a year thankfully.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Mods: 20x8.5 chrome/black rims, 245-35-20 Kumho ecsta 4x ku22, pioneer avh 4200 DD headunit, 1500 watt rms rockford fosgate (T1500-bdcp) amp, 2 rockford fosgate 12 inch (T1s), 800 watt rms rockford fosgate (T800-4ad), pioneer 5 way 6x9s ,pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 30% tint, black spyder headlights with 6000K HID (fog/low), K&N CAI, black altezza tail lights, and magnaflow exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in