My first decent scratch. - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy My first decent scratch.

Some numbnut decided to help me out and give my car a nice scratch on the driver's side rear door. It's not horrible, but definitely noticeable. I don't think it's a very deep scratch as it almost disappears when you get it wet.

Anyway, do you guys have any suggestions on products and/or techniques to get rid of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 06:44 PM

I had my car 3 months, someone decided they wanted to try and break into it with a screw driver, tore the hell out of the lock and scratched the paint, I had to get both the driver and back doors painted. Then the paint chipped I had to have it painted again, and even now I still see some chips out of it. Was not fun!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 06:46 PM
White G6

To get scratches out i usually use 2500 wet sand paper and rubbbing compound on the scratch. usaully rub the compound on with a towel or if need be a buffer to make sure the scratch comes out. then finish with a hand glaze/wax.

2006 GT, GTP Ulra-Bright Wheels, GTP Exhaust, Painted dual lower valence, Middle mirrors, Bottom rocker panels, Red Calipers, GM Strut Bar, Redline Tuning QuickLifts, G6 all weather floor mats, Debadged, and Chrome shift knob
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645473
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...t508245142.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 06:53 PM

Can you feel the scratch with your fingernail? If not then use some scratch X to get it out, just work it in really good a couple of times. If you can feel it with your fingernail then you won't be able to buff it out, you'll have to get some touchup paint. You can then wetsand it to level it out, but that is not something to do if you have never tried it. It can get ugly really fast.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the scratch X will probably work but I'm not running downstairs just to see if I can feel it. I don't think it's that bad. You can't even see it in lowlight conditions.

Do they put some kind of clear-coat type thing over the paint or is that part of the paint? It doesn't look so much like the paint got scratched as much as a transparent coating on the paint got scratched. Unless it's just like a very thin layer of white paint, but I can't wipe it off. At least not with my finger and saliva.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 06:52 PM

Clear coat is seperate from the colour paint, which gets sprayed after. It sounds like it just got into the clear coat so it should be very minor. Next time you're at the car just do the feel test, if you can't feel it then scratch x will get it out for you. Just remember to use a good towel and work it in really good at least 3 times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in