bluetooth obd2 reader - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2013, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

bluetooth obd2 reader

For everyone using the torque app, what obd2 reader did you buy? Any preferred brand? There's so many out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 07:29 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Mine doesn't really have a brand name, its a cheap $20 Chinese thing with some label on it, It does the job. There's a list of them on the torque-bhp website. They even mention one that goes for $200 but it has actual security and can transmit data really fast. So you can have true live data of multiple sensors. I've been considering getting this... personally.

Here's the site:
http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Bluetooth_Adapters
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 07:31 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Near the bottom where he lists the ones from china... mine is the first Chinese one that's orange and blue with some leds on it. It does not seem to work on fords, but works for GM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 04:08 PM

Cruisin are you able to look up GM specific PIDs with Torque, specifically knock retard?

My Progression

Mods: BMD Performance Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Performance Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 12:38 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Yea I think so. I know I can enter custom pids but I don't know what they are... they have a knock detector in the app. I can try and see if it works though... here is the custom pid screenshot...

In fact there are a series of custom GM pids I can switch on. And here's a shot of the top of the list... showing the knock retard pids...

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 07:45 AM
G6ADDICT

Garage
is this like tuning ur car thru an app? whats pid?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 10:17 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Nah this is just monitoring sensors as you drive. Oil temp, air temp, MAF airflow rate, check other sensors. Pull and clear codes, its pretty useful. I used it to shoot some track day videos with stats. You can see em in my car thread.

I don't know pids in detail but I believe its the code used to monitor a particular part of the PCM, just need that code and info to dial In that sensor to read it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 10:36 AM

Just picked up a cheap chinese adapter on Amazon for like 20 bucks. Works great.

2009 Techno Gray Metallic G6 GXP Sedan (3.6L Auto6 112K miles)
---
CRAB Intake Opt 3 w/FPU, Lloyds GXP floor mats, HIDs low 6000k 55w/fog 3000k 35w, LED DRLs behind lower grills, V3 Triton LED turn signal/reverse/brake, LED side markers/maps/dome/tag/trunk/high mount stop, 2 coats niteshades on tails, Tint 35% all around, Debadged (except arrows), PAC IPod and BT adapters, PowerStop D/S rotors and ceramic pads, Resonator repl w/24" cherry bomb, Racingline STB, Big 3 Upgrade, Optima Yellowtop D75/25, Blacked out arrows, chrome window trim and black dipped wheels, KYB struts and shocks, CM lowering springs, Cherry Bomb Vortex Crossflow muffler, 2.5" pipe from axle back, two 4" stainless double walled slant tips
...still working...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 10:51 AM
G6ADDICT

Garage
well i imagine you guys have androids, i have the windows phone 8 and i looked up the torque app and it didnt have one good review lol...it would be cool to have somthing like this but if its gunna suck id rather buy a few packs of cigerettes and a redbull with that 20. does it show like real time guages or is it recorded then played back?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 11:15 AM

Cruisin nice screenshots, thanks! When you get a chance can you check for me if you can actually pull up the knock retard on from the engine? Im curious if its just listed or actually reads it, thanks!

My Progression

Mods: BMD Performance Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Performance Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 04:48 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbullADDICT View Post
well i imagine you guys have androids, i have the windows phone 8 and i looked up the torque app and it didnt have one good review lol...it would be cool to have somthing like this but if its gunna suck id rather buy a few packs of cigerettes and a redbull with that 20. does it show like real time guages or is it recorded then played back?
It's real time data, I think mine is a little slow thanks to the cheap bluetooth adapter. I'm sure if I got the $200 high speed one it would be more on the ball with real time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshibbykumquat View Post
Cruisin nice screenshots, thanks! When you get a chance can you check for me if you can actually pull up the knock retard on from the engine? Im curious if its just listed or actually reads it, thanks!
I did check, the regular knock retard does show up as a readable figure, and out of curiosity I watched it on my drive home from work this morning, It sat at 0 the entire time, so I don't know if it can't read that figure, or if my engine simply isn't knocking and therefore isn't trying to retard the timing...
Maybe if I tap on the block with a hammer while it's idling?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 05:25 PM

Definitely real time. Mine seems to be near real time. Cruisin, maybe you just need a different cheap adapter.

2009 Techno Gray Metallic G6 GXP Sedan (3.6L Auto6 112K miles)
---
CRAB Intake Opt 3 w/FPU, Lloyds GXP floor mats, HIDs low 6000k 55w/fog 3000k 35w, LED DRLs behind lower grills, V3 Triton LED turn signal/reverse/brake, LED side markers/maps/dome/tag/trunk/high mount stop, 2 coats niteshades on tails, Tint 35% all around, Debadged (except arrows), PAC IPod and BT adapters, PowerStop D/S rotors and ceramic pads, Resonator repl w/24" cherry bomb, Racingline STB, Big 3 Upgrade, Optima Yellowtop D75/25, Blacked out arrows, chrome window trim and black dipped wheels, KYB struts and shocks, CM lowering springs, Cherry Bomb Vortex Crossflow muffler, 2.5" pipe from axle back, two 4" stainless double walled slant tips
...still working...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 06:25 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

It isn't that slow, I was only really talking about maybe a second delay or so... there's also a setting in torque where you can change the refresh rate of the sensors you monitor.

Also I watched my knock retard a little more closely so the KR pid works, I saw 0.1 and 0.2 degrees and as much as 1 degree then down to 0.5 then 0 again.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 PM

Thanks for checking cruisin! Just was wondering since I bought a cheap bluetooth one from amazon and for some reason I cant pull up the manufacturer specific codes like spark retard. Pretty sure mines not connecting to the CAN bus correctly though, go figure... you got a link or a picture of the one you got?

My Progression

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 12:05 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

No problem, always glad to help.
This is the exact obd adapter I have

Keep in mind I have the 4 Banger which uses a different PCM from the V6 engines... I wonder if some pids are different or not readable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in