tranny flush or change - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

tranny flush or change

Warm weather is finally coming. I don't think the fluid in my tranny as been changed yet. I bought the car with 45,000 miles and it now has 95,000 miles. No harsh driving conditions. Would it be wise to flush the tranny or just change the fluid and filter. I've heard tranny flush horror stories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 07:53 AM
G6ADDICT

Garage
it depends on if the tranny has had a previous flush or not. if it hasnt then i wouldnt touch it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 11:41 PM

i think our transmissions were filled with long-life fluids so it may be ok to flush it. double check with your owner's manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 07:29 AM
G6ADDICT

Garage
ur supposed to change tranny fluid every 50k miles and if you overly exceed that then you can do further damage changing it. Once you break 70,000 miles it's recommended to NOT CHANGE YOUR TRANSMISSION FLUID. The reasoning behind this are the little metal shavings, bits and pieces that inevitably fall off your transmission could actually be holding pieces in place or be critical to functioning in some way. Changing your transmission this late in the game could potentially move those bits and pieces essentially destroying your engine.

This is what I've found to be true through a lot of research. If anyone knows any different, I'm open to hear it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

I've been looking on the internet and a lot of threads on this subject seem to be split pretty even. I've only really seen peoples opinions though, and not facts backing up either side.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 02:44 PM

getting a tranny fluid change would be fine though???
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

I plan on dropping the pan and draining out what I can and change the filter.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 09:01 PM

I have a 2005 G6 GT with 110,924 and I'm the original owner. I went to change the fluid but realized it is sealed. Went ahead and opened the fluid level bolt and jacked the car level on all four. Added 3 then 6 then 9 total qtrs. of Valvoline Dex/Merc III tranny fluid. Only at the 9th qrt did the fluid come out of the level line. Is it possible I have been driving with little to no tranny fluid? Changed oil on the car every ~5K and never have seen a leak. Car shifts fine. Read total capacity after pan and filter is 9.5qts so I don't believe I would be causing any damage by adding 9 qrts. Can anyone share experience?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 02:21 PM

You did check the fluid with the engine running correct?

My Progression

Mods: BMD Performance Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Performance Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 02:34 PM

a \tranny fluid change will be alright to perform even though never done with a car around 80k??????
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 07:54 PM
G6ADDICT

Garage
you can change it whenever but theres no telling if your going to do damage or not. like I said in the earlier post your typically supposed to change the fluid every 50k and no more than 70k. but your close to the mark so you should be ok but don't take my word if anything wrong happens
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 06:38 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05pontiacg6 View Post
Warm weather is finally coming. I don't think the fluid in my tranny as been changed yet. I bought the car with 45,000 miles and it now has 95,000 miles. No harsh driving conditions. Would it be wise to flush the tranny or just change the fluid and filter. I've heard tranny flush horror stories.
The only reason some people shy away from a flush is because the fluid is completely replaced while under pressure. This can knock off all sorts of gunk and debris that could have built up in the arteries of the trans.

If your fluid looks pretty dark then don't go with a flush. If your fluid still looks a nice bright pink/red color then you probably are fine. Chances are the fluid is still pinkish/red but not very bright. So long as it doesn't smell burnt at that point I'd say a pan drop, filter replace and refill should be pretty sufficient, not to mention cheaper... by a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrn320 View Post
I have a 2005 G6 GT with 110,924 and I'm the original owner. I went to change the fluid but realized it is sealed. Went ahead and opened the fluid level bolt and jacked the car level on all four. Added 3 then 6 then 9 total qtrs. of Valvoline Dex/Merc III tranny fluid. Only at the 9th qrt did the fluid come out of the level line. Is it possible I have been driving with little to no tranny fluid? Changed oil on the car every ~5K and never have seen a leak. Car shifts fine. Read total capacity after pan and filter is 9.5qts so I don't believe I would be causing any damage by adding 9 qrts. Can anyone share experience?
Adding 9 quarts on top of what was in the trans sounds like a problem waiting to happen. If you were 9 quarts low then I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have any forward gears, and probably no reverse gear.
I would recommend getting it back up in the air, when it's at operating temp with the engine running, just pop that bleeder screw off and see if anything comes out. I noticed mine kept gushing out in surges before it finally leveled off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in