New G6 owner - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

New G6 owner

I just traded in my Ford Ranger for a 2008 G6 GT. I was looking for a good V6 car that gets good gas mileage and I guess I found it. The only concern I have is the wheels/tires. I live in northern New York, therefore winter is a good chunk of the year. My car has P225/50R17 tires on it. Coming from a truck, I didn't really take the sidewall height into consideration. Are these considered "low-profile" tires? Should I go with a 16" set-up for winter or would a good all-season tire suffice? Also, would it be ok to run a new set-up without the TPMS? Did all 2008 G6 GT's come standard with that size wheel? The ride is smoother than my truck but a little that I've read seems to conclude that higher sidewall tire mounted on a smaller wheel would be even smoother. If I did decide to go down a wheel size, would it be a safe modification to run year-round?
Sorry if this is a topic that has been talked to death on here. Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 01:40 PM

Anything where the aspect ratio is lower than 50 is considered low profile. Depending on the winters in NY, its up to you if you want to get winter tires. If you decide to get winter tires, the tires cost less than your 17s. You can get the 16" steel wheels for about 250. Then you just need snow tires. You can probably find them for about 100/tire. The larger the aspect ratio, the more comfortable the ride is, from my experience at least. For the tpms, its fine to run a different set without them just dont try to pass inspection without them installed since they are considered a safety device, you will just have to deal with the chime like when you open the door and your keys are still in the ignition once when you start up the car. You can run the 16" all year as they were stock on the vl sedan, it might not just look as good unless you buy alloy wheels which are more than steel.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 08:22 PM

I am also a new owner. I am having some questions .plz reply.
1. How to check the transmission fluids.?
2. How to use the monsoon radio.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 01:21 PM

16" rims are sufficient. I ended up getting 17" winter rims as they were in stock, and I didn't want to wait two weeks to save a whopping $5 a wheel. There are lower profile tires out there with 50K treadwear. It pays to shop around. If you don't drive much, don't bother with high mileage tires as they may crack and rot long before they wear out. I put about 6k miles a year on my summer tires, and 4k miles a year on my winters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysidhu View Post
I am also a new owner. I am having some questions .plz reply.
1. How to check the transmission fluids.?
2. How to use the monsoon radio.?
Transmission is sealed, there is no dipstick. There is a small service port on top of the transmission. If you look under the hood on the drivers side it's right on top

For me, the monsoon radio is fairly straight forward to use. Anything in particular that you want to do?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'11 Ram SXT 4x4 quad cab - 5.7L V8; 128,200kms
'09 Malibu 2Lt 3.6L - 140,000kms purchased 1 March 2019

'06 Pontiac G6 GT - 3.5L V6; 162,000kms (rear ended 15 Feb 2019, and given totalled title by insurance)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 10:02 AM

i am also a new owner 07 g6 se 3.5l 4dr. what should i expect as far as reliability and what mant. do you suggest at 100,000k?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 12:30 PM

I just sent you some information on the other thread that you commented on. Please send me a message if you want my assistance. Congrats on getting a G6.

Jackie
GM Customer Care

Have you checked into GM Owner Center? You can maintain service history, check on warranty or recall information, and more. Visit my.gm.com!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in