Want to change transmission oil. - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-01-2013, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Want to change transmission oil.

Hi guys.
I want to change transmission oil of my G6 myself. But i am in confusion bcoz. I am not sure which oil was earlier used in transmission .If i do a oil pan drop then the oil in torque converter may be different then the one i will put in the pan.
i do not want full transmission flush. I just want oil pan oil change.
So i nned your suggestions.
If any one have pictures of DIY transmission oil change i will appreciate that.
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 03:25 PM

Any full synthetic ATF will do. The transmission and TC share the same fluid. Dropping the pan is the best way. The hard part is measuring how much fluid is drained, then adding a similar amount of fluid in the small access port on top of the transmission housing. I believe there is a thread on this site with good instruction on how to change it, and what tools are required.

I would also change the trans filter after you remove the pan.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'11 Ram SXT 4x4 quad cab - 5.7L V8; 128,200kms
'09 Malibu 2Lt 3.6L - 140,000kms purchased 1 March 2019

'06 Pontiac G6 GT - 3.5L V6; 162,000kms (rear ended 15 Feb 2019, and given totalled title by insurance)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 03:23 PM

How many miles does your car currently have???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2013, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

sorry ,i just forget my password.
It is having 117000 Km's on it. and i don't know when it got the transmission oil change.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysidhu View Post
sorry ,i just forget my password.
It is having 117000 Km's on it. and i don't know when it got the transmission oil change.
If you are unsure then you should get it changed with that mileage. It 'might' have been changed at 100K kms but as you're unsure, it's good to change it for better piece of mind.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'06 Pontiac G6 GT - 3.5L V6; 162,000kms (rear ended 15 Feb 2019, and given totalled title by insurance)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 11:01 PM

Check your owner's manual to see when you should have changed your transmission fluid....Usually if you do it after the required mileage, you can have transmission problems; so I've read. I'm at 65xxx miles, and I've thought about it, but i don't want to spend hundreds if it does brake down on me. I haven't had any problems with my car either, I drive normal and keep up with my maintenance.

By the way i have a 2005 V6 sedan.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 06:26 AM

Driving "normal" is the wrong way to look at it. If you drive over the speed limits, brake hard, accelerate above 2500rpm, then you need to follow the 'severe' service schedule. It's good to follow the severe service schedule regardless of driving habits. A $150 transmission service versus a $3000 transmission is big on preventative maintenance. 60K miles is the norm to change transmission service for the first time.

USMC - you shouldn't say you keep up with maintenance when you right out, neglect a transmission service....just saying.

Keep in mind with automatics a standard trans service only removes half of the fluid. So you're keeping 40% or so of the old fluid in the system. After the first service it's good practice to change the trans fluid every 40K miles after the initial change, so the 'old' fluid that you can't get out, gets replenished more often to aid in extending transmission life. It's not dirty fluid that is the main cause of transmission failure, it's heat. Without testing the fluid, you can't know if it's bad by looking at it. If the trans fluid is discoloured, or dark, it might be too late to bother changing the fluid as heat has knowingly fried the transmission. Small things can go a long way to extending the life of a vehicle.

I keep my vehicles ~15 years, or until the frame rots through, and I have never had a transmission problem. Some vehicles even tow regularly, and I change those vehicles trans fluid more often to compensate for the added heat the fluid goes through in XX given miles.

To know for sure, stick with the owners manual severe schedule, and the car will last you several years of maintenance free driving.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2013, 02:01 PM

I haven't neglected anything...I'm currently at 65xxx miles, It's from what I have READ that transmissions tend to have problems, after changing the fluid, if the fluid isn't changed at the certain mileage the owner's manual has written down. I've known people to have had problems, that is all, everyone's car is different due to everyone driving a certain way and doing their maintenance differently either late or on time or when required. I've also READ about having a flush, which has negative reviews...I am just unsure about having my transmission fluid changed, didn't say i wasn't going to, i was just stating my opinion.

According to my manual it says the first transmission fluid should have been changed at it's first 50,000 miles, and there after every 50,000.

I bought my car with 45xxx in Dec 2010. I honestly forgot about the transmission maintenance during that time. Records show it was never changed. I understand about heat and all in which you stated, and testing the fluid. Which i will do and if all is good, i will get it changed. I follow the owners manual maintenance along with miscellaneous maintenance that i do to extend my vehicles life.

But again, it's what I've READ lol

Can i have your opinion if i should get it changed or not?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2013, 05:21 AM

Transmissions can be problematic after flushing them, not merely changing the fluid. If you were to flush the transmission at early mileage, and continue to do so, it should be I think we all need to read more in this day and age... Flushing a higher mileage transmission is a no-no. A car might pass a few owners, have 100K miles on it, and previous owners who can't provide maintenance records lie about what they've done. You have lower mileage, but at 65K miles, I'd get the fluid changed.

My owners manual calls for a transmission service at 100K kms, or ~62K miles...odd why yours is different, but oh well. I have the autostick and plan to change it this fall. I let it go long enough (time wise - 6.5 years) that the fluid should be changed regardless of mileage.

I go 1.5-2 years between oil changes. The GM trans fluid is full synthetic, so in theory it will last a long while, but the last thing you need is to try to pass someone uphill on a two lane road to suddenly have transmission problems.

It's silly how GM didn't make the transmission port a smidge larger for us DIY guys to better service these vehicles on our own.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 05:02 PM

Exclamation My manual doesn't even MENTION replacing transmission fluid! Just transaxle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
Transmissions can be problematic after flushing them, not merely changing the fluid. If you were to flush the transmission at early mileage, and continue to do so, it should be I think we all need to read more in this day and age... Flushing a higher mileage transmission is a no-no. A car might pass a few owners, have 100K miles on it, and previous owners who can't provide maintenance records lie about what they've done. You have lower mileage, but at 65K miles, I'd get the fluid changed.

My owners manual calls for a transmission service at 100K kms, or ~62K miles...odd why yours is different, but oh well. I have the autostick and plan to change it this fall. I let it go long enough (time wise - 6.5 years) that the fluid should be changed regardless of mileage.

I go 1.5-2 years between oil changes. The GM trans fluid is full synthetic, so in theory it will last a long while, but the last thing you need is to try to pass someone uphill on a two lane road to suddenly have transmission problems.

It's silly how GM didn't make the transmission port a smidge larger for us DIY guys to better service these vehicles on our own.
OK, I think I might be missing something, but I have looked ALL OVER my manual for the transmission fluid change/flush, but I canNOT find ANYTHING about it! I only see info about the automatic transaxle, which, I believe from Googling it, is different than the transmission fluid. I saw a vid regarding checking the trans fluid (which mentioned that my model G6 doesn't HAVE a dipstick, so you have to go 'way under to even open the cap) so I thought it was really funny (sarcasm) not to have those instructions!
Also, my manual notes that the transaxle fluid only has to be replaced under certain conditions such as driving in stop and go traffic where it's constantly 90+ degrees, towing, mountain driving, and driving like cops or taxis. The key word I zoomed in on was CONSTANTLY. So apparently my transaxle fluid doesn't have to be replaced.

Some advice sure would be appreciated, since I'm at 129,711 for my 2006.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Lynne
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 11:21 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

They say these transmissions are "maintance free" regardless there is no substitute for proper care.
Given your mileage I'd say a transmission service is not a bad idea. You can drop the pan yourself to drain the fluid, and behind the pan you'll find the filter. Usually a new filter will come with a trans pan gasket. Once that's done it takes around 9 quarts of fluid to fill it up I believe.

The thing with the level check is the car has to be up but level, with the engine running you remove a drain plug on the side of the trans by the axle and fill slowly until fluid comes out of that hole. Close it up and done.

Some would say with higher miles a complete flush could be harmful to the transmission, in that it can dislodge small dirt particles and then clog up small passage ways.
What kind of driving do you do? Different conditions, temperatures/climates and driving styles can really impact a transmission's (and engine's) life.

Last edited by CruisinG6; 10-26-2013 at 11:27 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2013, 11:41 PM

I drive the usual OC/SoCal freeways i.e. stop and go/slow and go M-F, or take surface streets which are 'go' at 40 mph then you hit stoplights; you don't idle very long, max about 3 minutes.
Every other month I drive up to Salt Lake City UT and every 3 months drive to Albuquerque, NM.
There aren't many temperature fluctuations in the weather for any significant number of days, nor for the car. It just stays where it's supposed to for the temp.
My driving style? Hmmm, let's say assertive. Yeah, that's it, assertive. Around here, it's called SURVIVAL.

I realized also that for front wheel drive cars, the manual refers to an automatic transaxle vs. a transmission. That being said, in the manual the driving conditions mentioned (constant high temps in stop and go traffic, constantly hauling/towing, or constant moutain driving) wouldn't warrant a change, BUT I think you're absolutely right-a fluid CHANGE would be in order and really couldn't hurt.

I will also have a coolant flush done.

I'm just not into doing anything myself except maybe changing the oil and cleaning the carpet and upholstery. I'd rather go online, do research about what should be done, what has to be done, download pics, then have hubs the tranny fluid change. He's more into automotive erector sets than I.

Thanks bunches, CruisinG6!

(Another observation...does anyone remember their dad calling the 2nd little car in the family the 'mousetrap' or the 'rollerskate'? LOL Or the man of the house taking a car for a fast freeway spin to 'blow out the carbon'? Double LOL)

Lynne
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2013, 10:33 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Hmm that's quite some mixed driving. I would recommend just doing a pan drop and filter replacement, this replaces something like 70% of the trans fluid, this would be good maintenance but would limit the risk of causing issues from dislodged gunk.
and if the drop and fill goes well and the fluid looks nice and good you can get a flush from there. But it is added cost.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 09:02 PM

Exclamation

If the fluid is discolor.. it means the the bans are burnt up and/or the clutch plates are bad.. would slip though if bad plates..

time for a change, and filter ASAP, so long as its not burnt. If it is (it'll smell strongly) burnt, that means your clutches are more than likely slipping, which really isn't good news.

I would Just drop the pan and change the filter (Every 30-40K).. Just like the oil filter.. Gets dirty right>?? would you leave that oil filter in the car that long? or let if get so dirty ??

yes make sure you do get the old fluid in a pan because you need to know what came out!! Never put to much or not enough trans fluid back in.

RE-cap;

NEED Trans fluid, gasket and filter!

Get about 1 to 2 gallon of trans fluid. (you can bring about one if you don't use it!) and ask Auto store or look up Spec meeting fluid so you don't ****ed shit up lol.

Jack car up, (jack stand on each side) start by removing one end of the pan so you can drain the fluid in the empty pan. (take your TIME)

once you get the pan off look for debris one the magnets.. if a lot is on there that may be a bad sign! (internal damage)

Next pop out the filter, replace, (clean pan "the in side of it with crab or brake cleaner" and wipe dry)

Next once you cleaned pan and pop in the new filter.. put gasket on (new one) and re-install the pan.. "torch to Spec" anyone know the torch spec?

if not make sure you get them tight!

Now you want to put the fluid that came out of the trans into old oil jugs or anything you can measure how much you have there...

Then open fill plug and fill up what you have measured form old fluid..

and your good... No need for a Fush!!!

If its burnt ... have a trans shop have a look that may have you use a additive... as in "Lucas Transmission stop slip" which and also rejuvenate old worn trans fluid!!

Thanks
John

Last edited by yodead; 02-03-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in