Maintenance ideas for an old girl! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Maintenance ideas for an old girl!

Hi all! Glad to see this community has stayed strong over the years. I find lots of good info here.

I'm curious if anyone can provide some ideas for what sort of maintenance I might need to do on my car? I ask because the old girl is about to hit 200,000KMs. I bought her with only 60,000 and haven't really done much to her since. Regular oil changes, one transmission flush and fill, couple brake changes, and a radiator replacement from a bad towing accident.

I was thinking it is due for another transmission fluid change. Also, I have been planning to change the spark plugs since I think the ones in it are still the factory ones from day one. I have picked up some Bosch Platinum 4+'s but I'm not totally sure if they are good for the G6's or not (You aren't supposed to gap them)?! I read on here that it would be wise to change the ignition wires at the same time so want to pick up a matching Bosch set online. Wondering what else I might want to order at the same time?

RockAuto offers a Power Steering Fluid filter but I couldn't find evidence that the car even has/needs one?

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 06:25 PM

Hows the struts holding up? Strut bearings? Sway bar bushings maybe? Or new end links, might as well get stronger adjustable ones... that's all off the top of my head, suspension gets loose over time

My Progression

Mods: BMD Performance Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Performance Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

I had thought about struts. Is there some definitive way of determining when they are due for replacement? The suspension doesn't seem bad, but that might be because it wears slowly and you just stay used to it. I might be able to tell if I drove a G6 with fresh replacements to compare to mine, but don't know anyone else with one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 01:39 PM

I would change the plugs and just get the transmission serviced. With 200K kms I wouldn't take a chance at a flush. Small dirt particles can get lodged into the valve body and give you grief. The only way to remedy is to remove and replace...not fun.

If the back shocks are gone, then the front struts are knowingly just as bad. Push down on a corner of the car at the back. If it rebounds quickly and settles down immediately then the shocks are fine. If it continues to bounce then get the shocks/struts replaced.

It won't hurt to get a front alignment done either. A good shop will tell you about any play in ball joints, and other components, so you can plan ahead a bit in terms of repairs.

'11 Ram SXT 4x4 quad cab - 5.7L V8; 128,200kms
'09 Malibu 2Lt 3.6L - 140,000kms purchased 1 March 2019

'06 Pontiac G6 GT - 3.5L V6; 162,000kms (rear ended 15 Feb 2019, and given totalled title by insurance)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in