Headlight falling apart - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2013, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Perfessor

Garage
Headlight falling apart

I've got one of my headlights (dual CCFL) that actually seems like it is falling apart. Literally! First I noticed condensation on the inside, so after all that evaporated, I pulled the light out and put a bead of silicone all the way around the edge of the lens. I noticed at the time that there looked to be some separation between the lens and the back plate (I guess that's what it's called) of the assembly.

Then a few months later I saw more condensate on the inside, After that evaporated, I pulled it out again and put more silicone around the edge. And it looks like the separation got wider. And the small gap between the bottom of the light and the bumper edge is actually gone.

I thought that the glue used was somewhat permanent unless you heat the light up in the oven to purposely take it apart (which I haven't done). Also, I've read in here that the newer glue makes it harder to take them apart anymore.

Besides spending $300+ for a new set, anyone have any idea as to how I may be able to fix this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Perfessor

Garage
No ideas anyone?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 12:30 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Post 2007 stock headlights lights have the glue that can't be removed.
You said you have the dual ccfl. Eagle eyes or spyders?
Either way they're aftermarket and probably use sub-par glue/materials.
I wonder if the heat from the lights could be an issue.
What I would do is pull them out, remove everything from them including all of your extra silicone as much as you can. Then pop it in the oven for a bit to soften the glue and just try to push it back together.
or you can pull it apart, clean the inside (as I assume you have water marks now) and either reuse or replace the glue and then re-heat them and stick them back together the best you can.

Then you could run another bead of silicone to be safe.
my buddy was telling me he ran a line of super glue all around his headlights, stopped all of his moisture problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Perfessor

Garage
What kind of glue would I need to get, and where?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 09:11 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Most just use silicone adhesive. If your thinking of super glue I guess anything for plastic would work. But it does produce heat and can cause white spots on the plastic.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Perfessor

Garage
Will the heat from the oven (I've read to use a temp varying from 100 to 175 degrees from 20 to 45 min) bother or mess up the CCLF internal components? Taking off most of the wires & bulbs is easy, but some of the wiring is embedded and wont come out. I 'think' that these are called eagle eyes, but I'm not sure. Maybe the photo will help.

Any and all help on this is appreciated. I need to pull my lights out this weekend anyhow as I just got my fogs in yesterday. I need to take out the resonator to get to that fog light.

Side question - I've got the 6000K HID's (low bean and now fogs). If I wanted to change a higher temp bulb (say 8000 or 10000K for showing), I can still use the same ballast, correct?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 11:15 AM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Someone over on G6P baked their eagle eyes to open em up. But I don't know if it did anything bad to the ccfl halos.
you could also use a heat gun and just concentrate it in the seal.
I can say for sure if you'll run into problems.

And its my understanding with HIDs that the bulbs decide color, and the ballast decide power output (which can effect color)
but I'm pretty darn sure you can just get higher temp bulbs and swap em in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in