Rotor/Brake Replacement '05 G6 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-04-2007, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Rotor/Brake Replacement '05 G6

Has anyone replaced their own rotors and pads on their G6? I've got 50k miles on my '05 G6. Rotors are warped and have minimal pad life remaining. Looking to save myself several hundred dollars in shop labor.

I'm looking for any tips I may need to know before I get dirty. I've replaced plenty of rotors and pads on my other cars before, but wanted to find out if the calipers or rotors required any special tools for removal and replacement.

Also, having read through some other threads regarding rotor issues, what brand rotors and suppliers have you gone thorugh? I've just looked at a few places like Napa for pricing on stock rotors and EBC pads.

Thanks!

Nick :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichwarzy View Post
Has anyone replaced their own rotors and pads on their G6? I've got 50k miles on my '05 G6. Rotors are warped and have minimal pad life remaining. Looking to save myself several hundred dollars in shop labor.

I'm looking for any tips I may need to know before I get dirty. I've replaced plenty of rotors and pads on my other cars before, but wanted to find out if the calipers or rotors required any special tools for removal and replacement.

Also, having read through some other threads regarding rotor issues, what brand rotors and suppliers have you gone thorugh? I've just looked at a few places like Napa for pricing on stock rotors and EBC pads.

Thanks!
I've got 45k miles on my 06 and have replaced the rotors 3 times. I kept using the same pads because nothing was wrong with them. Just last week I threw on a set of Duralast rotors (front and rear) and ceramic pads (front and rear) from Autozone for about $200. I tried a set of rotors from NAPA at $70 each for the fronts and warped them after 8k miles. I think that the factory pads were so hard that they were causing the rotors to get hot and warp. If these new brakes make it to christmas without warping I will be happy. My dealer didn't find it too funny when I told customers looking at a G6 vert in the showroom that I have to change rotors with every oil change

As far as tools go, just make sure you have a set of metric sockets (13-15mm) and a long handled ratchet for the caliper bracket bolts. I dont think I spent much more than an hour changing all four. Also be sure to buy lube for the caliper pins. Most all of mine were dry which tells me they didn't lube them at the factory

Last edited by G6~Mike; 01-26-2008 at 11:57 AM.
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 06:28 AM
Designed For Action

My front rotors needed replacement after 15,000 miles. I went with PowerSlot Cryo rotors and Akebono ceramic pads.

Crimson Red G6 GTP Coupe / 6 MT

"Power And Performance Beyond OEM Restrictions"
'Sold**8/14/2008, but not forgotten'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 07:04 AM

go figure this. I was hearing "scraping" noises so I decided that @74k miles, it was time to check/replace the pads, especially the front. I mean that is what USUALLY wears first right?? Well,....the front pads were fine!! about 60% left on em. Well, I then decided that this noise was somethin' else. But the annoying scraping noise came back. Ok. so I checked the rear pads. OMG...the driver side was worn to the metal. The passenger side was worn but not equally to that of the driver side...(go figure). Well all replaced now. The rotor was not too bad, so replacement was not necessary. Oh,.. the turning of the rear cylinder thingy, to make room for the new pads was interesting. Thank goodness for the internet.
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-17-2008, 12:07 PM

I have an '07 with 21k and it has started to shake when I brake. I was figuring that the rotors were warped.
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 07:40 AM

rotors ok

could be. sounds like a lot of people have had trouble with the rotors. So far mine are ok.
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:19 PM

yap...i'm already having problems with the rotors...i'm going to take my car in pretty soon
post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

I changed mine out around 30k miles ago.
I got R1's and Akebono ceramic pads.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 09:41 AM

i'll definitely keep those in mind...i'm just going to get the factory replacement until the warranty expires...it will give me time to save up for some quality product
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 09:58 AM

Oh... if your under warranty make them fix it. I was at 45k when I changed mine. now Im pushing 80,000!!!

MODS:

My Progession
post #11 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 03:53 PM

im new to the board. we have a 05 g6. it has 50k on it. havent had any problems with the rotors. just the break pads. bought new ones and the damn things squeek like crazy. i took them off and took sand paper to the rotors. and to the pads. that stopped them for about 30 miles. lol. and now they are doing it again. .... i dont know what to do.
post #12 of 85 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 05:33 AM

I bought anti-squeel and painted the pad with it on install.
If you get some remember to Only put it on the side of the pad that faces the caliper.....not the side that faces the rotor!! Mine are silent and sweeeeet.....

MODS:

My Progession
post #13 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 05:07 PM

yah i go thru rotors like water. however the good news: buy duralast gold parts from autozone, not the best, but you will be replacing them before the warenty runs out, and all the bolts are never going to be hard to get off.
plus the whole pad/caliper job is pretty easy to do also. i'm redoing my rears for free (thanks to the warenty) this weekend!
post #14 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 09:12 AM

free is always good.

MODS:

My Progession
post #15 of 85 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 12:25 PM

ah boo...you can't brake hard but ONCE before these things get warped again...i guess i have to learn to drive more passively...honestly, these are the worst stock brakes i've ever had on a vehicle

looking into Brakemotive SD rotors and Evolution ceramic pads...anybody use/used these? reviews?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in