Throttle Body Removal for cleaning - how to... - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2013, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Throttle Body Removal for cleaning - how to...

I tried to remove the throttle body on my '06 GT. I could only move it back about 1" as there seems to be a hard coolant line in place. I can only move it 1/4" in any one direction. Can I remove the throttle body without having to remove this line? Or, can I remove this line easily enough without much of a mess?

From what I could see, my intake has oil build up in it, and the inside of the throttle body, including the rear of the butterfly plate was nearly jet black. I figure without spraying that crap into the intake I can remove it and clean it more thoroughly. Thanks

'11 Ram SXT 4x4 quad cab - 5.7L V8; 128,200kms
'09 Malibu 2Lt 3.6L - 140,000kms purchased 1 March 2019

'06 Pontiac G6 GT - 3.5L V6; 162,000kms (rear ended 15 Feb 2019, and given totalled title by insurance)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 07:01 PM

That line was a bitch on mine to, but I finally coerced the line out of the way enough to remove the throttle body without actually removing the line

My Progression

Mods: BMD Performance Adjustable Front End Links, BMD Performance Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Pedders Lowering Springs, Brembo Upgrade, Racingline STB, Custom Intake, 8000k Lowbeam HIDs, 10000k Foglight HIDs, Badge & Doorsill Overlays, GM G6 Logo Mats, Blacked Out Window Trim, Blacked Out Grills, Pioneer Headunit, 2 10" Kenwood Subs
Old 11-28-2013, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

I tried it again yesterday and after close to 20 minutes I couldn't get the line to budge. I couldn't help but notice the oil buildup inside the intake either. If I get home before it gets dark I'll have another go at it and see if I can pull the line off that 1/4" I need to remove the throttle body. So annoying....

'06 Pontiac G6 GT - 3.5L V6; 162,000kms (rear ended 15 Feb 2019, and given totalled title by insurance)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
I tried it again yesterday and after close to 20 minutes I couldn't get the line to budge. I couldn't help but notice the oil buildup inside the intake either. If I get home before it gets dark I'll have another go at it and see if I can pull the line off that 1/4" I need to remove the throttle body. So annoying....
I've read where the electronic throttle body needs to be removed or at least the wires need to be disconnected before cleaned because the motor can be damaged if the butterfly plate is moved while the wires are still connected. I've also heard it's okay to spay cleaner into the throttle body; that it will burn off without damaging anything. I've also heard the engine can run a little rough till the cleaner burns off though. Any thoughts about this? Sorry to hear it's so tough to remove though. I was going to clean mine this spring. Seems like every vehicle has something in the way to make simple repairs tougher.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:36 AM

I dont know about these cars but I have played with the butterfly plate on my 01 alero plenty of times while it was plugged in and car was off. No issues. Wouldnt see why it would mess up a g6. Unless newer cars are really getting to be that stubborn nowadays.

They make a throttle body cleaner that is perfectly safe and completely dries within like 30 second or a min after being sprayed.

Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Alero GLS Gold Series, 6 speed 3400. (2 of 2) in the world. *Tuned by MMS/MMGT1*

11/26/12 - 180,000 miles body/motor. 2,300 on F40.
8/20/13 - 192,000 miles body/motor. 14,300 on F40.
. . . S . . . . L . . . . E . . . . E . . . . P . . . . Y . . .
Old 03-21-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
I dont know about these cars but I have played with the butterfly plate on my 01 alero plenty of times while it was plugged in and car was off. No issues. Wouldnt see why it would mess up a g6. Unless newer cars are really getting to be that stubborn nowadays.

They make a throttle body cleaner that is perfectly safe and completely dries within like 30 second or a min after being sprayed.
Newer cars have an electronic TB with a small motor instead of being cable driven. The video I watched was for a Ford with a Ford tech so it seemed legit. The tech left me with the impression it would be the same for all electronic TB. He went as far as saying the butterfly could activate by itself because if plugged in the TB might interpret it as being frozen & try to free it. He said if the butterfly activates it could take your fingers off. I'm just wondering if it would be good enough to just disconnect the plug & the battery cable & clean it this way if the G6 TB is difficult to remove because of the coolant line.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post

http://youtu.be/JPNnHU6PYbo
Old 03-21-2014, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

I haven't given it another attempt yet. Once the temp gets above freezing for a full day I'll try getting the TB off again.

Yes, the engine does bog down when you use a carb cleaner, etc. I use Amsoil Power foam (similar to sea foam but the power foam can be sprayed in through the intake). A full can is one application and if you spray it into the throttle body too fast with the vehicle at idle the engine will stall. If you moderate the spray after the can is empty, I shut the engine off for about ten minutes to let the stuff do its job. I then start the engine and lot of white smoke follows for a solid 2-3minutes and dissipates. I take it for a drive and within two days I'll change the oil.

Electronic TB's can be temperamental but I've never had any issues. I'm not one to play with anything on a throttle body while it's still connected, be it with bolts, wires, or both. In all cases it's best to remove the throttle body and do a thorough clean.

It'll be nice once I figure a way to get the TB off my G6 GT. After seeing the oil buildup within the intake, I really want to clean that crap out.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:
I haven't given it another attempt yet. Once the temp gets above freezing for a full day I'll try getting the TB off again.

Yes, the engine does bog down when you use a carb cleaner, etc. I use Amsoil Power foam (similar to sea foam but the power foam can be sprayed in through the intake). A full can is one application and if you spray it into the throttle body too fast with the vehicle at idle the engine will stall. If you moderate the spray after the can is empty, I shut the engine off for about ten minutes to let the stuff do its job. I then start the engine and lot of white smoke follows for a solid 2-3minutes and dissipates. I take it for a drive and within two days I'll change the oil.

Electronic TB's can be temperamental but I've never had any issues. I'm not one to play with anything on a throttle body while it's still connected, be it with bolts, wires, or both. In all cases it's best to remove the throttle body and do a thorough clean.

It'll be nice once I figure a way to get the TB off my G6 GT. After seeing the oil buildup within the intake, I really want to clean that crap out.
I appreciate the response. I'll try the power foam, sounds like a good product. Maybe I'll get lucky and my TB on my standard V6 will be easier to remove. Like I said there's always something quirky with every vehicle I've ever done repair work on, guess the G6 is no different. At least the weather is getting better.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

The power foam is easier to use than seafoam. Seafoam suggests putting a bit into the crankcase, fuel system, etc, but I've always had it sucked in through the brake vacuum line. I never add anything to oil. Amsoil powerfoam sprays right in and it's a lot more user friendly.

When I first got my GT I was amazed at how well laid out the engine is to do an oil change. Vertical oil filter, everything is easily accessible. After replacing a rear monsoon speaker last year (I thought that was tough) as I had to remove a portion of the rear seats to gain access to remove the back paneling in order to gain access to the speaker. This is the first vehicle I have owned where the throttle body is difficult to remove because GM has a coolant line running right in front of it. Odd.

Old 03-24-2014, 12:04 PM
#beardlife

This is on my to do list soon as it warms up here...If it warms up here. I have been having issues with mine sticking up for a bit now.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:53 AM

We're finally warming up in Ohio and I finally got around to taking a peak at the throttle body on my 3.5L & it appears as though it should be easy to remove. I've got the small coolant line from the overflow and one other small rubber hose that is next to the TB, but it won't give me any trouble. I'll know for sure Saturday.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Ptucci, if you manage to get it off let us know how please. My only alternative is to move the coolant line, which I don't want to do.

Also, let us (me) know if you have a noticeable amount of oil buildup in the intake. I know I have some but as I couldn't get my TB completely off, it's hard to tell for certain. Thanks

Old 04-03-2014, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Ptucci, if you manage to get it off let us know how please. My only alternative is to move the coolant line, which I don't want to do.

Also, let us (me) know if you have a noticeable amount of oil buildup in the intake. I know I have some but as I couldn't get my TB completely off, it's hard to tell for certain. Thanks
I don't know if the layout for the GT is different than what the standard 3.5L has. I haven't done any modifications to the engine either. This '08 just has the small (3/8" ?) overflow line that will be a piece of cake to remove.
I'll be in touch.

"It's got a four barrel carb, & dual exhaust
With four, eleven gears you can really get lost"
Old 04-03-2014, 04:39 PM

360ci: OK I see what you guys are referring to now. I didn't have TB cleaner so I didn't remove it, just gave a quick look see. I'm going to remove the plastic coolant lines because to me, it's not worth the risk of breaking one of those lines. I'll just put an old towel underneath where I disconnect, shouldn't be too much of a mess. Also, there is plenty of black soot built up along the bottom of the butterfly, so I'm sure it's going to need a good cleaning. I've got 64,000 on it to give you something to compare yours to. The engine does have a nice layout. The spark plugs should be a breeze when the time comes to replace.

"It's got a four barrel carb, & dual exhaust
With four, eleven gears you can really get lost"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in