Replacement brake caliper - which to get? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Replacement brake caliper - which to get?

So, brake fluid is leaking from my passenger rear brake caliper pretty bad. I am looking for a new brake caliper, preferrably remanufacturerd so I'm not spending an arm and a leg. I've looked everywhere and there seems to be so many options. I would prefer to get in-person (O'Reilly Auto, Advanced Auto, Autozone, etc) but I do have Amazon Prime as an option.

I have a 2009 Pontiac G6 GT, and don't need anything super fancy (brembos or anything like that). Mainly as close to OEM as possible, but won't break off and leave me without any stopping power. Since brake fluid is leaking from one caliper, should I replace both rears, or since my car is a 2009, would I be fine replacing just one? I'm guessing I need to replace both rear pads as well, yes?

In short: Any recommendations on a new caliper that won't break the bank? Open to many options. Not really sure what's "good" and what's "poor" when it comes to calipers. I just don't want to break the bank!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 08:07 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

One of my rears dumped all my fluid a few months back. Auto zone had it near me for the cheapest. They're all pretty much the same reman parts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Did you get one of these?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...3_410349_2362_

I assume that you just used the other half from the old caliper (bracket, it's called maybe?) and put the two together? How's it holding up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 09:46 PM
OOBER SUPER MEMBER

Yup that's it. Two bolts/pins separate it from the bracket. The new calipers came with new pins and a rubber seal for one of the pins, You have to put it on the pin before installation and I believe that is the bottom pin.
Also pick up a packet or two of grease for those pins, it should be right at the counter.

Mine's been working just fine, no issues at all, not with e-brake or anything else.

Also I removed the spring on the back to make connecting the cable easier, Popping the spring back on wasn't so bad.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 10:22 PM

I buy all my parts for my G6 off eBay. Its new parts and a lot cheaper than part store. I brought high performance new rotators for my car off Ebay for half price from Auto Zone. I have at least 3 sellers that I buy all my parts from and it has the same warranty if you brought from Auto Zone.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

I was a bit limited on time, so I had to purchase from a retail store. I went with the caliper from Autozone for about $55 or so, then used a $10 coupon to take a few bucks off. Swapped out the caliper bracket from my old caliper, replaced rear brakes, and bled all 4 brake calipers.

All said and done, I spent about $50 on the caliper, $40 on rear brakes, and $8 or so on 32oz of brake fluid. ~$108 total on my credit card to do it all, no labor, since I did it myself. Not bad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in