Convertible Maintenance - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Convertible Maintenance

I have a 2007 G6 convertible. When I open and close the top, it seems that the top is very "snug" with the rubber gaskets. This is good! But my concern is that the top seems to have to fight with the resistance of the rubber gaskets for a few seconds before the top opens.

I'm wondering what types of preventative maintenance other owners do to keep their their top opening and closing smoothly. I was thinking I would spray the gaskets with a rubber compatible silicon spray, but I'm open to any other suggestions for maintaining my top in great shape!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 08:25 AM
Perfessor

Garage
You get a crackling sound when the gaskets separate from the frame, right? That is normal. It's just the gaskets sticking to the metal framing.

One thing that will help (at least is has for me) is 303 Aerospace Protectant. I apply it after cleaning the gaskets with soap and water (to clean) plain water (to rinse), and letting it dry. Spray some on a microfiber towel and wipe down all the gaskets.

Not only will they look better, they will last a lot longer.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks,
I'm thinking the gaskets will last longer and it will also put less strain on the top motor.
Can you also tell me how often you clean and coat these and do you do this with the top retracted (in the trunk)?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Perfessor

Garage
I try (note the word 'try') to do them when I clean my car, but once a month will do it good. Having the top partially retracted is the easiest way. That way you can get to the one in the middle also. A damp microfiber towel is what I use for cleaning. The 303 is also good for the partition in the trunk to keep it looking good.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 07:24 PM

After cleaning I wiped on a thin layer of silicone grease to my weather strips (windows, door seals and convertible roof / trunk) it has made them all slightly more snug and no longer creaks when the roof opens. I do get a slight pop when the trunk cams open as the clamp is a bit tight on the drivers side. I have also gently lubricated the hinges where the roof folds and in the trunk area. At some point I need to change the hydraulic fluid but need to look at what should go in there.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
...I do get a slight pop when the trunk cams open as the clamp is a bit tight on the drivers side.
I'm getting the same "pop" out of the clamp and want to minimize this as much as possible to avoid any unnecessary stress on the motor. I'm hoping silicone or some other type of lube (330?) will make this open and close more smoothly.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 05:13 PM

maybe we will have to put the noise to a vote to see how common it is on the convertible. To my ear it sounds like the clamp is a bit tight and the trunk pops out when the hydraulics have enough pressure. I have never wanted to mess with it enough to see if there are any adjustments.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 02:27 AM

Does your folks top come down hard almost "slamming" just above the windshield on that header??

Mine does, and I slow it down with my hand as it's ready to close on top of the windshield.

Is the "hard close" normal??
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
I have also gently lubricated the hinges where the roof folds and in the trunk area. At some point I need to change the hydraulic fluid but need to look at what should go in there.
What did you lube the hinges with Boomer?

Any idea how often that fluid should be changed?
I'm guessing every few years or maybe every 50,000 miles??

One more top question please guys.....when you open the top halfway for maint. does it stay open, or close automatically after a certain amount of time??
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 09:24 PM

My top does thud when it comes down. Guess this is normal as there is a fair bit of weight to be moved. I used a silicone lube spray on the hinges. The top will only stay in a mid way point for a certain amount of time before the hydraulics release and the top returns to either the open / closed resting position. I read that the dealership had some sort of cover and straps that would allow the hood to be held in the mid motion position for longer maintenance. I just poke the top move button periodically if I need to keep the top in a position for an extended period. I am also careful not to put my body parts anywhere I cannot get them back out quickly

Mine is an 07 and I doubt it has been changed (only had the car for a year myself). The top has no problems but I guess it is time for a change of fluid.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 01:19 AM

Thanks Boomer.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 11:36 AM

Top Maintence

If you read the owner manual is plainly say's to lube the rubber seals with Dielectric Grease. This will work great as I have tried it on mine. My car just had all of the top mechanics / linkages replaced at the dealer under extended warranty. So the top works the same as New. When comes down to the windshield it slows down but there is still a little bit of a clunk. So I agree it's heavy and a little noise is to be expected.

2007 G6 GT Hardtop Convertible AT. 3.9L all options
Liquid Silver 2nd Owner
Other Rides 2010 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2014 Chevy Cruze 2.0L Turbo Diesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in