E-brake repair - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

E-brake repair

The old e-brake in my 6-speed GTP hasn't worked for years. I resisted getting into it because 1) the transmission must be locked in reverse before removing the ignition key and 2) the problem had been properly diagnosed as failed e-brake levers in both calipers, and replacing the calipers is both expensive and a pain in the butt. So, now that I've set a date on selling the aging stand-by, I set about repairing the e-brake system.

A couple of things I can pass on:
1) I am one of those with e-brake issues that were not caused by incorrectly compressing the caliper Pistons, while changing pads. I fully understood how to properly screw and compress the Pistons back into the cylinders
2) the usual symptom for collapsed caliper e-brake mechanisms includes a very short travel of the brake handle, with lots of resistance and no ebrake engagement. These symptoms are caused by the caliper e-brake lever/mechanism collapsing so that there is very little travel of the ebrake caliper levers. Therefore, the e-brake handle travels very little and yes, with the rear tires in the air and e-brake lever engaged, the tires spin freely.
3) inspection of the caliper e-brake levers at such a time as new pads are installed will clearly reveal if the caliper's e-brake lever/ mechanism has collapsed. The lever that the e-brake cable connects to will be nearly fully retracted, as if the cable were pulling the e-brake to engage. This should not be the case. There should be plenty of caliper lever travel, with new pads and no e-brake engagement.

Replacing the calipers themselves is covered in plenty of shop manuals, so that is beyond the scope of this entry. There is one thing that I should point out about this operation. The e-brake cables must be extended so that they can reach the connection point at the new caliper e-brake lever. Spring tension in the e-brake hand lever gear pulls the cables backwards. There is no adjust screw/nut for the e-brake cable. The cables are of fixed length. In order to extend the cables, I had to remove the center console. I took a screw driver as a lever and forced the e-brake hand lever gear to reverse wind and push the cable out towards the caliper cable connection point.

The e-brake worked properly after the caliper replacement and the e-brake handle had plenty of travel.

Mike Pate
'06 G6 GTP, 6-sp manual, bone stock otherwise

Last edited by mj1pate; 10-20-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in