bad dipstick reading - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
gregross

bad dipstick reading

When I check oil dipstick after sitting overnight it shows above full by over 2 inches. If you drive car stop it let it sit 10-15 mins. it shows at top of full mark ( where it should be ) What gives with the cold reading ? 2009 ecotec 2.4

Last edited by gregross; 03-07-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 05:39 AM

Most likely is that the ground is not level and you parked at an incline.
Also it takes time for all the oil to drip back into the oil pan by gravity, especially if your oil filter doesn't have an anti-drain back valve.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
gregross

parked on new garage floor , perfectly level. canister cartridge filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2015, 10:57 AM

It's always a good idea to check oil level when the engine has been sitting for at least an hour and a half on a warm day, or an hour on a cold day.

Most drive through lube shops here try to charge me an extra quart because of what you mentioned. Since then I've been changing the oil myself. Pontiac calls for 4.5 quarts in the 3.5L V6, so that's what I put in and it brings it right below the 'max' line on the dipstick.

A hot engine will thin the oil out, and what you mention isn't uncommon, it's just about being patient. Too many shops are trying to get cash out of people when it's not necessary. It's important to know the amount of oil the engine takes as per the manufacturers owners manual, versus what a shop can shove in there.

In some cases, people 'guess' and add 5 quarts, although not all vehicles take a full five quarts. I had one drive through shop charge me for 2 extra quarts (5+2) quarts for an oil change on my 2000 Durango R/T back in 2006. It took 5 quarts max. After a short argument they drained out the oil and filled it properly. Since then the oil change shop has changed names 4 times.

Also, shops don't always prefill the filter (non cartridge style), which adds stress to the engine as it's forced to run dry for 15-20 seconds before the filter fills with oil and proper oil pressure is achieved.

'11 Ram SXT 4x4 quad cab - 5.7L V8; 128,200kms
'09 Malibu 2Lt 3.6L - 140,000kms purchased 1 March 2019

'06 Pontiac G6 GT - 3.5L V6; 162,000kms (rear ended 15 Feb 2019, and given totalled title by insurance)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
gregross

My thinking was I got a true reading after sitting several hours. My real concern is how much oil was overfilled to get such a high reading on dipstick 2 inches above full mark. My worry is how much overfill will cause engine damage. Also strange how such a difference in readings is taken when car sits.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in