Just got my G6... couple ?'s - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Just got my G6... couple ?'s

Hi all,

I just bought an '06 G6 sedan with approx. 50k miles (75,000km) I have the service record but it doesn't list any routine maintainence done.

I've been reading the forums until my eyes are sore. I've found a lot of helpful topics regarding routine maintainence so I will be keeping a schedule from this point on.

However, I have no idea what was previously, or recently done. Can someone please give me an idea as to what I should do _now_? Keep in mind that I am now broke so only the absolute necessary stuff would be helpful.

Oil Life is approx. 73% (I don't know if the car has been running Synthetic, any way I can tell? I've checked the oil and it's very light color and thin, could be synthetic?) I plan on using Mobil1 oil from now on...

The brakes seem good as far as I can tell from looking at the pads. It also came with 4 brand new Dunlop SP60's (which I'm very happy with)

I was considering a tranny fluid change but read that's not necessary til around 100k. What about a coolant flush?

I just want to keep my baby in top shape. Thanks for any suggestions..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datacat View Post
Hi all,

I just bought an '06 G6 sedan with approx. 50k miles (75,000km) I have the service record but it doesn't list any routine maintainence done.

I've been reading the forums until my eyes are sore. I've found a lot of helpful topics regarding routine maintainence so I will be keeping a schedule from this point on.

However, I have no idea what was previously, or recently done. Can someone please give me an idea as to what I should do _now_? Keep in mind that I am now broke so only the absolute necessary stuff would be helpful.

Oil Life is approx. 73% (I don't know if the car has been running Synthetic, any way I can tell? I've checked the oil and it's very light color and thin, could be synthetic?) I plan on using Mobil1 oil from now on...

The brakes seem good as far as I can tell from looking at the pads. It also came with 4 brand new Dunlop SP60's (which I'm very happy with)

I was considering a tranny fluid change but read that's not necessary til around 100k. What about a coolant flush?

I just want to keep my baby in top shape. Thanks for any suggestions..

Coolant is good for 150,000 MI or 5 Years...

Tranny fluid needs changed at 50K but only under certain circumstances, you probably can go without unless the car has jerky shifting or whatnot. If you have a 3.5 (V6 base, GT) you do not need to change it under certain circumstances...saw it on the other G6 forum and they got it from mygmlink.com

If you're broke I don't think running synthetic is the cheapest route to go ...I don't think there is too much other maintainance that I can think of this point but I'm at work and my brain is shot

Keith

2005 G6 GT

K&N drop-in filter, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, 50% tint all around, other than that completely stock

SOLD 11/20/2010
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

I really appreciate your reply.

I have read all the topics regarding tranny/coolant etc. This is only my second vehicle and I did all the regular maintainence myself on my Buick. But it was an older vehicle so I am not familiar with these newer rides.

I called around on an oil change with synthetic and they said about $100 :O Looks like I'll have to hold off on that for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Wal Mart...around $23 for the M1, another $4 for a premo filter. 3 words:
Do it yourself.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

I hear ya Lampoon. Sale goes on tomorrow for Mobil1 4.4qt. I picked up a Fram synthetic filter today. It looks to be a good quality filter.

Cheers.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 11:27 PM

If you are used to working on older vehicles then the new cars are a piece of cake. Maintenance have been greatly simplified for regular routine items and anything more complicated you can't do it yourself anyway.

I would change or check all the fluids and bring all maintenance items up to date. With your mileage and unknown history I would not use synthetic oil because they are simply not worth it IMO. I maybe biased because so far I have never ran into any oil related problem with using just regular motor oil, even though some of my cars had over 200k miles of hard driving. So to me, synthetic oil is a complete waste of money, especially if you are tight on cash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in