New (Unknown) Recall for 2005 G6 - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

New (Unknown) Recall for 2005 G6

The Owner Center at MyGMLink.com has issued me a statement saying that a new recall has been issued for my 05 G6. However, the exact details are not available online and says I should call my dealer to find out. I may do that tomorrow..but does anyone know what this is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 05:11 PM

Hmmm, my MyGMLink.com doesn't show one.

Are the last 6 digits of your VIN between 181383 and 182266?

If so I might know.

Last edited by e2helper; 08-01-2005 at 05:13 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Negative
...153xxx range
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 06:46 AM

I was at my dealership yesterday complaining about the rattle and they never mentioned anything to me.

RP
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:03 AM

I looked this morning and I have one also. What is it?

For your peace of mind, we provide recall information for your exact vehicle, based on your VIN. Please complete any recall-related vehicle work as soon as possible.

You've chosen to receive reminders for recalls. Go to the Subscription Center to edit your preferences.

For more information :
Contact your Preferred Dealer: 845-298-4700
Or
Contact the Pontiac Customer Assistance: 800-620-7668.

Recall ID: 05548

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:23 AM

I just got off the phone with my Pontiac dealer. The recall is for the engine harmonic balancer. GM hasn't sent out the recall letters yet, but my dealer is going to replace the part for me next week.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 11:30 AM

I thought it was regarding the LATCH system...how difficult it was to connect to them, and that they were going to send supplemental instructions to owners...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHadden
I thought it was regarding the LATCH system...how difficult it was to connect to them, and that they were going to send supplemental instructions to owners...
That came out in March, just after I bought mine. GM mailed you out a few pages to put in your owners manual.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 09:48 AM

Just called dealer didnt have any recalls out that they knew about. Taking it in tmro for vibration in the front end and squeeking brakes. Will let you know what happens.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2005, 08:15 PM

Front end Vibration

If the vibration is during braking it is just warped rotors which is typical with GM vehicles. Every one I have owned had rotor warp. Best thing you can do is get high quality drilled rotors on there. Mine are on order soon as I get my check.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explr1
I just got off the phone with my Pontiac dealer. The recall is for the engine harmonic balancer. GM hasn't sent out the recall letters yet, but my dealer is going to replace the part for me next week.
The "mygmlink.com" website finally caught up with my car that I've had for a month now. I was greeted with the same recall notice that you have listed in your prior posting. So, how much of a problem is this harmonic balancer recall? Should I not drive my car until I can get it to the dealer. It was too late for me to contact them by the time I read the recall that has no information... I was astonished as well that the NHTSA had no information on any recall except for the LATCH child restraint recall which my car is out of range of.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 09:26 AM

Yes the vibration is durring braking. Will I have the same issue in 3 to 6 months if GM replaces the roters?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulmates00
Yes the vibration is durring braking. Will I have the same issue in 3 to 6 months if GM replaces the roters?
Not if you tell them to use ceramic pads. After going through several rotors due to warping, both on my Malibu and the G6, I convinced the service manager to put on ceramic pads. Problem solved.

The service manager told me last time I was in that since they replaced mine, they have started to put them on all midsize vehicles (G6, GA, Malibu) that come in.

An added benefit is that the brake dust doesn't accumulate as badly as with regular pads.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-21-2005, 06:10 PM
G6 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn P
I was at my dealership yesterday complaining about the rattle and they never mentioned anything to me.
Rattle fix--look under hood on pas side--see the rubber near shock tower--put sealer in the seams from fender to body--the dealer fixed mine--recall is a retouge of harmonic balancer--5 min fix
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 06:48 AM

My G6 is at the dealership today for the rattle, the idle / not wanting to start, and the driver's side door falling apart.

Has anyone else had a problem starting their's? It turns over and acts like it wants to start, but seems to struggle, happens a few times per week, and some mornings it starts up with ease and then struggles to idle. I live in Tennessee, so it's not cold here at all, usually in the mid to high 70's at 6:45am, so it can't be the weather.

As for the door falling apart, I guess that's a little over the top, what has actually happened is, when you're looking at the door (from the inside of the car) the piece of the door that is to the left of the handle that you use to close the door is popping out. I keep pushing it back in, but I know if I don't get it fixed now, the whole interior of the door will probably tear up and of course that probably wouldn't happen till it was out of warranty. The dealership said they would probably have to order another door panel for it.

I'll let you know what they say about all of these problems, hopefully this afternoon.

RP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in