Steering Popping - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Steering Popping

after some research i concluded this is a common problem with the G6. when i turn left or right the steering column makes a popping sound and its coming from what sounds like below the dash. I have the bushing on order and was curious if there is anything else that may need replacing?

Current Mods:
07 G6 GT White, 84K, 35% Tint, 8k HID Lows/Fogs, Tinted Tails, DRL Delete, DexCool Delete (is that a mod?) Eibach Springs, EBC Brakes, Orange Calipers, De-Badged, Front Tower Strut Bar, Painted Engine/Battery Covers, CRABS Opt# 3, "Tiger CRAB Ram Air", Custom Catback stepped up to 2.5" from 2.25" tubing with purforated rez and free flow muffler.

Coming Soon:
18" rollers, LED red interior lighting, LED tails, Complete Audio System Renovation as I have blown it up, Sedan HH spoiler, Custom Seatcovers, dash cover and floor mats with the G6 Embroidery, Painted body color mirrors, wiper arms, both front grills, side skirts and rear facia all body color painted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 08:51 AM
GTP 06

Send a message via MSN to maykevin5
yep. yep. yep.. think they refer to the inner tie rod ends.. although its not.. but that's where the busing is. Sometimes its the intermediate shaft. but not with low miles.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maykevin5 View Post
yep. yep. yep.. think they refer to the inner tie rod ends.. although its not.. but that's where the busing is. Sometimes its the intermediate shaft. but not with low miles.
i have 37,300 mi??? maybe the dealer rolled the mileage before i bought it which every week or so i find one more thing that leads me to believe its true i'm going to replace the bushing first and just keep replacing those steering components til it stops popping. its more of a mild noise than a serious omg wtf is that so idk. trial and error i guess

Current Mods:
07 G6 GT White, 84K, 35% Tint, 8k HID Lows/Fogs, Tinted Tails, DRL Delete, DexCool Delete (is that a mod?) Eibach Springs, EBC Brakes, Orange Calipers, De-Badged, Front Tower Strut Bar, Painted Engine/Battery Covers, CRABS Opt# 3, "Tiger CRAB Ram Air", Custom Catback stepped up to 2.5" from 2.25" tubing with purforated rez and free flow muffler.

Coming Soon:
18" rollers, LED red interior lighting, LED tails, Complete Audio System Renovation as I have blown it up, Sedan HH spoiler, Custom Seatcovers, dash cover and floor mats with the G6 Embroidery, Painted body color mirrors, wiper arms, both front grills, side skirts and rear facia all body color painted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 01:35 AM

This is my first time so bear with me. I purchased my G6 GT about 2months ago. Had some popping or thumping under front end. I took it to the dealer, they replaced steering I shaft and lube job. 2 days later, steering went out completely and there was no stopping point for the steering wheel. Luckily this happened after parking. The dealer fixed that but now there is s clicking sound when turning my steering wheel left of right. Any suggestions? My mileage is 34,000 and some change.

Last edited by andermelv; 06-03-2009 at 01:37 AM. Reason: left off mileage
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andermelv View Post
This is my first time so bear with me. I purchased my G6 GT about 2months ago. Had some popping or thumping under front end. I took it to the dealer, they replaced steering I shaft and lube job. 2 days later, steering went out completely and there was no stopping point for the steering wheel. Luckily this happened after parking. The dealer fixed that but now there is s clicking sound when turning my steering wheel left of right. Any suggestions? My mileage is 34,000 and some change.
looks like we are in the same boat. when i get my new bushing in the car i'll let you know if that helped.

Current Mods:

Coming Soon:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in