ew! My A/C smells! - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

ew! My A/C smells!

So my Air Conditioner is starting to smell sour or like vinegar... something along those lines. I thought my car was smelling bad, but it's definitely coming from my vents. It's gross. What can I do?

My cavalier A/C started to smell before it went bad and stopped working, however it was a different smell and a tad bit more mildewy than sour/vinegar. I read something about the sour smell could be from improper AC evaporation drainage. What can I do about this??? It smells so bad and I love my car, but she is literally stinking right now and I don't want/can't afford for anything bad to come of it! Can I fix this myself??

PLEASE help me!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 11:11 PM

Talking

use lots of air fresheners

Current Mods:
07 G6 GT White, 84K, 35% Tint, 8k HID Lows/Fogs, Tinted Tails, DRL Delete, DexCool Delete (is that a mod?) Eibach Springs, EBC Brakes, Orange Calipers, De-Badged, Front Tower Strut Bar, Painted Engine/Battery Covers, CRABS Opt# 3, "Tiger CRAB Ram Air", Custom Catback stepped up to 2.5" from 2.25" tubing with purforated rez and free flow muffler.

Coming Soon:
18" rollers, LED red interior lighting, LED tails, Complete Audio System Renovation as I have blown it up, Sedan HH spoiler, Custom Seatcovers, dash cover and floor mats with the G6 Embroidery, Painted body color mirrors, wiper arms, both front grills, side skirts and rear facia all body color painted.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 04:18 AM
Premium Member

cabin air filter perhaps? Do we even have one?

Keith

2005 G6 GT

K&N drop-in filter, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, 50% tint all around, other than that completely stock

SOLD 11/20/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 05:42 AM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephcorleone View Post
So my Air Conditioner is starting to smell sour or like vinegar... something along those lines. I thought my car was smelling bad, but it's definitely coming from my vents. It's gross. What can I do?

I read something about the sour smell could be from improper AC evaporation drainage. What can I do about this??? It smells so bad and I love my car, but she is literally stinking right now and I don't want/can't afford for anything bad to come of it! Can I fix this myself??

PLEASE help me!!!!
Sorry to hear it, one possiblity is something got on the floor near the intake for the A/C. The poor drainage sounds like a legit prob too.

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

A lot of the times it is due to a plugged drain. The moisture builds up, mixes with bacteria, and you end up with a funky mold growing in the system.

I know this sounds wierd but you might try an anti bacteria spray down the vents....
Lysol?

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:53 AM
GTP 06

Send a message via MSN to maykevin5
does it smell like that with the air setting on circulate(inside air) or pass through (outside air)?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Both. And it's really starting to make my whole car smell, especially after it's been running, then it's shut up all day while I'm at work. I think it legitimately sounds like the drain plug issue (did some googling), but I just don't know how to get to it... but I keep my car very clean and I vacuum it regularly, and I don't think anything is on my carpets, but from what I read, if the drain plug is clogged it can eventually leak water onto the passenger's side floorboard?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah, a while back I kept having a sound like something was in the A/C vent areas and it was a type of rattle, but more like a plasticy paper sound. It went away... everything was good... and now there is the smell. so maybe something was in the way/trapped,. worked it's way down and now clogged it?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:08 PM
GTP 06

Send a message via MSN to maykevin5
easy way to find out is to park on concrete with AC on and see if water runs out onto the concrete. could be freon or antifreeze, or even the blower motor burning.
The drain tube for the AC runs through the fire wall. jack the car up and look at the firewall where it comes out. blast some compressed air into the tube..
maybe that flapping noise was candy and is finally starting to rot?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maykevin5 View Post
easy way to find out is to park on concrete with AC on and see if water runs out onto the concrete. could be freon or antifreeze, or even the blower motor burning.
The drain tube for the AC runs through the fire wall. jack the car up and look at the firewall where it comes out. blast some compressed air into the tube..
maybe that flapping noise was candy and is finally starting to rot?
Thanks! I don't know when I'll be able to do all of that beings I live in an apartment, but I plan on visiting my parents soon... flat drive way, garage, air compressor, big jack, etc...

Should I not run my AC until it's figured out? Bc if it is something clogged, I definitely don't want anything getting into my car/floor area. Randomly it's really cool out today... it's weird, but I guess helpful for my situation!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2009, 03:49 PM

Try reading this. It fixed mine.http://www.g6performance.com/phpBB3/...ilit=afterblow If you read the whole thing it will tell you what you need to do. Hope this helps.

Mark.

My driver 2007 G6 GT Sedan white with black leather, sunroof. Duel outlet exhaust.
Wife's driver 2015 Equinox 2LT AWD 3.6 V6
My toy 1984 camaro... to much to list.

Last edited by whatever; 06-05-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in