Gasoline Talk - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member

Gasoline Talk

This thread is to promote the discussion of the gasoline we G6ers use. Submit your opinion, attach links and share your experience with the different types, grades, and brands of fuel you use. We can all learn here!

I like to use 93 octane most of the time. I run it in my G6 GT and my Pinto (Civic EX) and I find that my fuel economy increases with 93 octane when I do a lot of interstate driving.
Here are a few links that I found informative (also contradict what I believe but, who knows?)

http://www.factsonfuel.org/gasoline/index.html

http://theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm

http://www.actiondonation.org/articl...ine-facts.html

Mike
MODS;
None, if I want a faster car I'll buy one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Premium Member

>>WHAT IF I PREFER TO USE GASOLINE WITH HIGHER OCTANE RATINGS?

You can, but there are no real benefits, other than the gasoline manufacturers making more money off of you. When you use a fuel with a higher octane rating than your vehicle requires, you can send this unburned fuel into the emissions system. It can also collect in the catalytic converter. When you over stress any system, it can malfunction or not do what it was designed to do properly. In the early 90's, an early warning symptom was a rotten egg smell from the tailpipe. Easy fix, go back to using regular 87 octane gasoline. The rude odor usually disappears after several tanks of gasoline.<<

I use regular 87 octane and try to fill up at well established brands' stations. Higher octane is a waste of money unless you have a tune or high performance car, which our car is NOT. My favorite stations are Shell, Texaco, and Sonoco in that order. I avoid Exxon like the plague because I loathe them.

Wonder how long this thread will take until we get some arguments like the motor oil talk has come down to.

Keith

2005 G6 GT

K&N drop-in filter, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, 50% tint all around, other than that completely stock

SOLD 11/20/2010
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 06:48 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

In reference to your G6- You car is tuned for 87. You should be running 87.
I think its in the manual too.

I dont think I would run 93 Mike....

I run 93 but that is because my timing and advance etc are adjusted in my ECM tune for 93 octaine.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampoon View Post
I dont think I would run 93 Mike....
I run 93 but that is because my timing and advance etc are adjusted in my ECM tune for 93 octaine.
Thanks for the concern Lampoon, Since I read the article about unburned fuel (higher octane) in the exhaust I'll prob stop running it in the G6 with the occasional tank of 93octane every couple of months. But I doubt Iíll change the Pinto, Iíve run high octane in my interstate drivers for a long time and Iíve had no problems; I find they run better. That may just be like a placebo but in the last 20+ years it doesnít seem have to negatively affected any of my daily drivers.

Mike
MODS;
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 08:15 AM
weekend cruiser

my 09 calls for min 87 octane in the owners man. or i a have flex fuel that calls for no higher then e85 there are no e85 pumps in my town ... but does useing the e 85 give better results other then alt fuels?

----{2009.5 G6 GT COUPE}----
09 V8 GMC CANYON 4X4 CREW CAB
med retired USAF
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrus3 View Post
my 09 calls for min 87 octane in the owners man. or i a have flex fuel that calls for no higher then e85 there are no e85 pumps in my town ... but does useing the e 85 give better results other then alt fuels?
E85 actually lowers your fuel economy by 2-3 MPG compared to regular gas (which usually has up to 10% ethanol depending on where you live). I think it's suppose to be "greener" by being cleaner, but you can make the case that it isn't greener because you're growing corn just to make ethanol and jacking up the prices.

If you had a diesel I would say to use biofuel using used frying oil. It's cheap and it helps the environment though you may smell like a mexican restaurant if you're behind it.

Keith

2005 G6 GT

K&N drop-in filter, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, 50% tint all around, other than that completely stock

SOLD 11/20/2010
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Decepticon Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB G6 View Post
...though you may smell like a mexican restaurant if you're behind it.

MODS:
Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

My Progession
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:36 AM

I like to use Shell gasoline. Mainly because it cleans and keeps your engine clean. I also have noticed i get a bit better gas mileage with shell gas, but that can mean many things. I use shell for peice of mind. As far as octane levels, it doesnt really matter to me.

Lets see if i can start something here:

In my opinion i think Shell gasonline is the best because it has more cleaning additives and is high quality fuel.

Current Mods:
07 G6 GT White, 84K, 35% Tint, 8k HID Lows/Fogs, Tinted Tails, DRL Delete, DexCool Delete (is that a mod?) Eibach Springs, EBC Brakes, Orange Calipers, De-Badged, Front Tower Strut Bar, Painted Engine/Battery Covers, CRABS Opt# 3, "Tiger CRAB Ram Air", Custom Catback stepped up to 2.5" from 2.25" tubing with purforated rez and free flow muffler.

Coming Soon:
18" rollers, LED red interior lighting, LED tails, Complete Audio System Renovation as I have blown it up, Sedan HH spoiler, Custom Seatcovers, dash cover and floor mats with the G6 Embroidery, Painted body color mirrors, wiper arms, both front grills, side skirts and rear facia all body color painted.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
nice smiley...lol

Current Mods:
07 G6 GT White, 84K, 35% Tint, 8k HID Lows/Fogs, Tinted Tails, DRL Delete, DexCool Delete (is that a mod?) Eibach Springs, EBC Brakes, Orange Calipers, De-Badged, Front Tower Strut Bar, Painted Engine/Battery Covers, CRABS Opt# 3, "Tiger CRAB Ram Air", Custom Catback stepped up to 2.5" from 2.25" tubing with purforated rez and free flow muffler.

Coming Soon:
18" rollers, LED red interior lighting, LED tails, Complete Audio System Renovation as I have blown it up, Sedan HH spoiler, Custom Seatcovers, dash cover and floor mats with the G6 Embroidery, Painted body color mirrors, wiper arms, both front grills, side skirts and rear facia all body color painted.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestg6gt07 View Post
I like to use Shell gasoline. Mainly because it cleans and keeps your engine clean. I also have noticed i get a bit better gas mileage with shell gas, but that can mean many things. I use shell for peice of mind. As far as octane levels, it doesnt really matter to me.

Lets see if i can start something here:

In my opinion i think Shell gasonline is the best because it has more cleaning additives and is high quality fuel.
When oil prices fell a few months ago I used Shell as often as I could. I agree, Shell gasoline is one of, if not the best, gasolines out there.

Mike
MODS;
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Member

Quote:

Mator, is that you?

Mike
MODS;
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
When oil prices fell a few months ago I used Shell as often as I could. I agree, Shell gasoline is one of, if not the best, gasolines out there.
It's usually the same price around here. If it's not it's only about 6 cents more expensive. I think for the extra change it's worth it.

Texaco is the same way. They use Techron in their gas which supposedly is a good additive, but it's farther away so I usually get Shell or Sonoco most of the time.

Keith

2005 G6 GT

SOLD 11/20/2010
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 08:11 AM
weekend cruiser

the only big name where i live is flying j and exxon any opoins on these ????

----{2009.5 G6 GT COUPE}----
09 V8 GMC CANYON 4X4 CREW CAB
med retired USAF
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 05:45 PM

In response to E85.
i researched ethonal in great depth when i was considering running an ethanol carb on my Camaro. In a Carburated engine E85 is like race fuel, its octane rating is around 103-109 depending on the time of year (summer fuel vs winter fuel, but thats a different topic). The down fall is the fuel economy it takes more ethonal to power a vehicle than it does gas. I estimated 5-6 MPG on my Camaro with an ethonal carb, but its got/getting a helluva an engine. But in a modern EFI car that is not tuned for a higher octane fuel (E-85) you can encounter some performance loss because the engine's compression is not high enough to appreciate the higher octane fuel. Some of the early Tahoes, Explores, trucks, and other SUVs encountered a good bit of problems. Im very ignorant when it comes to modern engines (most LS based mills excluded), the ones in our cars included. I would guess by now the computers can probably compensate for the E85 better than they did when Flex-fuel was a new idea.

2007 G6 Sedan 3.5L
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0L
2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L
1976 Camaro undergoing resto Aluminum headed SBC
1973 El Camino undergoing resto 454 Sleeper
1956 4dr Belair rust bucket for sale.

Last edited by Spot_remover; 06-18-2009 at 05:48 PM.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2009, 04:36 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot_remover View Post
In response to E85.
i researched ethonal in great depth when i was considering running an ethanol carb on my Camaro. In a Carburated engine E85 is like race fuel, its octane rating is around 103-109 depending on the time of year (summer fuel vs winter fuel, but thats a different topic). The down fall is the fuel economy it takes more ethonal to power a vehicle than it does gas. I estimated 5-6 MPG on my Camaro with an ethonal carb, but its got/getting a helluva an engine. But in a modern EFI car that is not tuned for a higher octane fuel (E-85) you can encounter some performance loss because the engine's compression is not high enough to appreciate the higher octane fuel. Some of the early Tahoes, Explores, trucks, and other SUVs encountered a good bit of problems. Im very ignorant when it comes to modern engines (most LS based mills excluded), the ones in our cars included. I would guess by now the computers can probably compensate for the E85 better than they did when Flex-fuel was a new idea.

I don't even see E85 around the DC area so I don't see any point to people having flex fuel cars.

I'm not sure if the cars lose performance using flex fuel, but they still do lose about 6-7 MPG:

Quote:
E85 gas mileage is your mileage with regular gas -5 to -7 MPG. So if you would be getting 27 MPG with gas, you'd be getting 20MPG with E85. I looked on the fuel economy for the Impala flex fuel to figure that out so I'm assuming it will be the same for the G6 (it doesn't have the G6 flex fuel vehicle in its stats on fueleconomy.gov.)

E85 is cheaper than regular gas. However, you'll be filling up more often because you get alot less MPG and any cost savings will be erased. The stats on the site say it's actually a few dollars more than if you just filled it up with regular gas.

Keith

2005 G6 GT

SOLD 11/20/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in