New here and to the G6. Rocker Panel Help Please - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

New here and to the G6. Rocker Panel Help Please

Hi everybody. I recently inherited a 2007 G6 4dr 2.4L base. I love the car but it is a far cry from my GM Saturn RedLine. So far I have put over 1k into it replacing the trans cooler, exhaust pipe, plugs, new brake calipers rotors and pads all around and replacing the rear bumper w/ paint.

Anyways I drove the car 2,500 miles home from Maine to colorado and it's a freaking dream! Pumping 90 all the way and still got 27mpg according to the computer. You may have noticed I said Maine....which means rust! Lots of rust.

I have a huge rocker panel problem. I had to chip paint off and sand, which literally put a hole in the outer rocker panel. So...I fiberglassed it and panted but if I hit the outer rocker literal chunks of rust fall out. The black plastic trim has almost nothing to hold on to and I can stick my hand right up into the rocker between the exterior and floor rail :-(

So my question is 1, anyone know where to get cheap outer rockers for a 4dr base?
I found them on eBay for 200$ each and my body guy wants 1k $ to cut and weld. Ugh!

2nd, has anyone had success simply placing racing skirts over the rusted rockers? I know these cars are prone to rust on the outer panels but I do not want it to spread to the floor.

I am finding very very limited info regarding how to deal with this issue online. I see lots of pictures of bubbled paint and rusty rockers but no easy or cheap solution. If it was a G5 i could get the outers for 50$ but not on the G6 with them being totally welded on and sculpted into the body.

Thanks;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

You can rent a tie rod puller from any auto parts store.

The Inner is a solid shaft that is screwed or pressed into the steering arm connected to your steering box / module.

The outer has a ball joint on it the connects to the steering knuckle. The outer is screwed (turned on to) the inner. This allows the geometry of up and down motion while still turning the wheel.

You might want to double check your CV boots if you hear noise when changing gears. From reverse to forward.

Tie rods turn the wheels and control arms should not make noise on flat surfaces as they mainly move up and down to support the knuckle and have ball joints to allow the knuckle to turn and raise and lower.

If you pull the inner tie rods off you need to count the turns it took to remove the outer (ball joint) ends from them or you will be seeking an alignment .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in