So, I stopped at Autozone and picked up five quarts of Castrol EDGE and a Bosch filter. Yay. I'm planning on doing the actual change tonight, but I want to make sure that I'm doing things right, so here's my game plan:
1) Drain the oil from the bolt located at the front of the engine. I believe this is the oil pan plug. Pour a quarter of a quart into the engine and let it drain out, to get rid of the stuff in the pan.
2) Replace the oil filter. On these filters, do I need to "prime" them (pour fresh oil into them) like on conventional filters? Also, there was a large o-ring in the oil filter box. Where does that go?
3) Replace the cover and fill with 4 quarts of oil, check dipstick, fill as needed to full.
4) Check for leaks and make sure the drain plug and filter cover is secure.
5) Turn the engine on and hope for the best?
Anything I should know? I haven't done an oil change before, so any tips or warnings of caution would be helpful.