Oil Change Intervals - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
PCB

Question Oil Change Intervals

Hi all,

I've only got about 1200 miles on the G6, but a quick calculation puts this oil change at about 8-9000 miles. This kind of freaks me out, being used to 3000 service intervals. What do you all think about that many miles between oil changes?? Is anyone using synthetic oil?

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 11:03 PM

Definately do not use the factory fill until the oil monitor says its time to change. A lot of people, including myself, suggest you change your oil after the first 500-1000 miles. I think it was stated in a previous post that the oil monitor will work best with full synthetic oil. Personally, I use Mobil1 Extended Performance (garaunteed for 15k miles, although I'll only put about 7k on it with my Focus). You can find it at WallyWorld (Walmart) for around $21.00.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 03:33 AM

Keep in mind if you start using synthetic oil that the Oil Life Monitoring system will not take that into account. Its calculations are based on the type of oil recommended for it and GM only has a few engines that start with synthetic from factory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCB
Hi all,

I've only got about 1200 miles on the G6, but a quick calculation puts this oil change at about 8-9000 miles. This kind of freaks me out, being used to 3000 service intervals. What do you all think about that many miles between oil changes?? Is anyone using synthetic oil?

Paul
I bought mine with 64 miles on it. At a little over 3000 miles the monitor stated it was time to change the oil. If you press a few buttons it should tell you what your oil life is.

RP
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2helper
Keep in mind if you start using synthetic oil that the Oil Life Monitoring system will not take that into account. Its calculations are based on the type of oil recommended for it and GM only has a few engines that start with synthetic from factory.
The oil life monitor is indeed set based on the type of oil recommended for the car. However, per the manual, for the G6 this oil must meet the GM6094 specification.

They don't tell you this, but the only oils that currently meet that spec. reliably are synthetics like Mobil 1.

If you're going to use the OLM to signal your changes, use synthetic oil - if for no other reason than to eliminate an excuse for GM to deny an engine related warranty claim for not using the "right" oil.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
PCB

Thanks, I never even noticed that there was a different spec "GM6094" for this oil. I guess I should re-read the manual.

Paul
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 05:36 PM

Like they say..."If all else fails, read the manual."
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 05:49 PM

Here we go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G6Manual.gif
Views:	1540
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	144  
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 06:05 PM

And just to note, I've never found any oil to actually have the GM spec on the bottle, usually you'll have to research it, if you want to get into it.

Like otcpharm and myself suggest, if you use a reputable brand of synthetic, you shouldn't have any problems.

Last edited by MHadden; 08-20-2005 at 01:54 PM.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHadden
And just to note, I've never found any oil to actually have the GM spec on the bottle, usually you'll have to research it, if you want to get into it.
Mobil 1, 5W-30, with the silver cap, states on the back label that it meets GM6904 specifications. (not the "extended interval" oil, the original Mobil 1)

So far, that's the only one I've found readily available that plainly states that it does.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 02:38 PM

I get oil changes free from the dealer, and the first service is at 3000 miles, as stated in the oil change coupon book.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 05:03 PM

Feel free to change the oil every 3000 miles if you are using regular oil.

If you're using synthetic, use the oil life monitor. Changing it any sooner is a waste of time and money.

Of course, the dealer would LOVE to have you come in for a $20 oil change every 3000 miles.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 06:56 AM

Smile

Wouldn't the dealership use the GM spec oil or am I just being naive to think they would do that? I didn't really pay that much attention to what oil they used when I got my first oil change, I guess next time I should. I know my husband uses synthetic oil and I've never really asked why, I just figured he used it because it costs more. Maybe he really does have a theory behind using this oil. He's got an 04 Silverado.

RP
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otcpharm
Mobil 1, 5W-30, with the silver cap, states on the back label that it meets GM6904 specifications. (not the "extended interval" oil, the original Mobil 1)

So far, that's the only one I've found readily available that plainly states that it does.

I believe Havaline also has that spec on thier oil.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary
I believe Havaline also has that spec on thier oil.
Very nice, we've got two now. Good to see some companies are keeping up to date.

Any others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in