Synthetic oil - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Synthetic oil

Just wondering, have any of you out there changed to synthetic oil at some point with your G6 ? I'm still on conventional oil at 103,000 miles.

2007 G6 GT Emerald Green Metallic, sunroof, chrome wheels, continental dw tires, leather heated seats, in dash 6 cd player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 03:36 PM

I have been using the Walmart Super Tech high milage + the Fram XP filter. I tend to change at slightly longer intervals. The car does not need it, just a personal choice with the price difference being small and the API rating being up there with the higher end products.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 04:42 PM
2007 gt retractable

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
I have been using the Walmart Super Tech high milage + the Fram XP filter. I tend to change at slightly longer intervals. The car does not need it, just a personal choice with the price difference being small and the API rating being up there with the higher end products.
me too but ac delco filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
Is the super Tech high mileage a blend or synthetic ?

2007 G6 GT Emerald Green Metallic, sunroof, chrome wheels, continental dw tires, leather heated seats, in dash 6 cd player.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 10:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to waterfowler76
That was the first thing I did when I got this car, but do some research, Pretty sure if you change to Synthetic with this many miles you'll start to develop leaks.

2007 PONTIAC G6 GT

Waterfowler's 6 <---- Check out my 6
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler76 View Post
That was the first thing I did when I got this car, but do some research, Pretty sure if you change to Synthetic with this many miles you'll start to develop leaks.
Interesting thanks.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 04:14 PM
2007 gt retractable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigZag View Post
they have both.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigZag View Post
...and I am using the full synthetic. Mine does have an oil leak, been that way since I got the car. One day I may replace the pan seal. I currently lack the hoist or similar to support the engine to get at the transmission side bolts. SO far the occasional use of shop towel keeps me going...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:50 AM

I bought a 2009 in January from my grandma but she let me drive it for a little bit before. I think about a month ago it was due for an oil change (first since I bought it) and I switched it from conventional oil to royal purple synthetic. I really don’t know if anyone even a trained mechanic can actually tell or if it’s just in my head but I do feel like the car drives a bit smoother and has a little more pick up. Not a ton but just enough to notice. I chose royal purple cuz they sell it where my mom works and it was the most expensive stuff they had. I really want this car to last so I’ll pretty much throw as much money down the toilet as I need to in order to ensure it runs well. Also with a name like royal purple I don’t think you can go wrong. Anyways I’ve put about 1.5k on it since then (a lot imo) but I just checked the oil and still no need to add anymore which I think is good it’s lasting since it’s a little pricey (still only like 45$ for 5 qts tho)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:38 AM
08 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler76 View Post
Pretty sure if you change to Synthetic with this many miles you'll start to develop leaks.
Just curious, what is your certainty based on?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:09 PM

I switched to synthetic at around 80,000 Km (50,000 miles). I find its more cost effective. Walmart almost always has some good name brand synthetic on sale for the same price as conventional, and with synthetic you can go longer between changes. I'm at 115,000 Km now, and I've got a very slow leak around the oil filter cap, but I think its because the cap plastic is old and brittle and full of micro cracks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in