Grinding Pulley - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Grinding Pulley

Hi guys, I have an 06 G6 3.5l - yesterday I replaced the serp belt and idle pulley because I noticed a pulley was grinding. Afterward I realized the pulley that is actually grinding is to the right of the one I replaced. Can anyone tell me what this pulley goes to so I can properly identify the component and try to fix it?

Here is the routing diagram, #3 is what I replaced, #4 appears to be the actual culprit.
http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/eb..._005358_10.png

Thanks!
-Eddy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-02-16_005358_10.png
Views:	34
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	13829  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Sorry guys, I hate to bump this already but this is becoming an issue and I'm afraid whatever it is will break soon and the grinding is loud and making everything vibrate. Any ideas what this is?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:07 PM
08 convertible

Eddy, I'm not sure what "pulley grinding" means, is the pulley itself rubbing against something? Or is the part behind the pulley making internal noises? I certainly would not drive a car that makes grinding noises. Whatever it is, it's very likely to cause expensive damage.

I can't tell what you have there, but the serp belt usually drives only the alternator, compressor and water pump. And PS pump if it has one. Plus a bunch of idler pulleys. So shouldn't be that difficult to tell by inspection what is behind the pulley that makes noise.

Last edited by dxG6; 04-19-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

k, Yeah I googled water pump, and power steering pump but non of the images have the pulley I am referring to attached to the new part. The grinding noise is kind of like a metal scraping sounds - almost like a bad bearing, except the pulley I am pointing to.. I am not sure if that even has a bearing or not or if it directly spins a component such as the pump. The scraping causes the plastic guard (and other areas around the pulley) to vibrate.

I was trying to avoid pulling it all apart without first having the replacement - but it looks like I may need to just start taking things apart to diagnose the issue first.

If I took a few pictures, would that help you guys identify which component it is? I haven't any idea how to tell which is which.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Actually, I found this link:
SOLVED: Where is the water pump on my pontiac g6 - Fixya

The image of the pulley with 4 bolts matches what I am talking about, so it must be the water pump. Ill have to open it up and see what is going on.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:48 PM
08 convertible

The water pump doesn't look anything like an alternator or compressor. PS pump will have fluid hoses connected to it. So it shouldn't be hard to tell what it is. The size, shape and number of bolts on the pulley can vary greatly and doesn't always help you identify the device it's mounted to.

If it's the water pump and it grinds internally that would be pretty unusual. Normally when the bearing is shot it will leak coolant to alert you. But anything is possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in