Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Transmission fluid?

9K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  bear52 
#1 ·
So the car just hit 125k the other day. It's a 2008 g6 gt 3.5L v6. I'm looking into changing the fluid myself. There is a DIY garage in my city that I will be using their lift.

However my concern is how much fluid will I be needing to change it out? I'm pulling the pan and changing the filter. I have read just about every thread on here and ive seen 5 quarts up to 9 quarts.

I can only find the fluid in gallons. So I think buying 2 gallon containers would be the safest bet. I also have read that there is an overfill bolt somewhere that will determine how much fluid to put in.

I'm trying to figure out what to use to catch all the fluid to accurately measure how much fluid has been drained.

Also theres mixed reviews on replacing and reusing the old gasket. Some say the best idea ia to reuse the old gasket for least change of springing a fluid leak. Others say to replace with a new one for best results.

#4 ·
There may also be some useful information on this thread
https://www.chevymalibuforum.com/threads/changing-the-transmission-filter-on-my-4t45-this-weekend.7641/

If you plan to measure and refill, any large enough container will do. You can pour the contents into an old oil container with marking on it or use a measuring jug (top tip, not one from your better half's kitchen as you will not be forgiven if they find out). I decided to reuse the old gasket as I had no leaks and it looked to be in good shape. I have had no issues since the fluid change.

Good luck with it.

Attachments

#7 ·
looks like i might find out first hand. left home this morning to do a road trip. had to go home after 40 minutes of driving because the service traction light had come on. got home ok but sitting idling sounds likes steel r rings jingling in a shaft and when i shift t through reverse to drive it goes clung real hard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.