brake change at 21,000 miles??? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Question brake change at 21,000 miles???

Hi,

I'm new here, so Hi everyone..

I have G6 2008 that I have get in may 2009, with only 16,000km (10,000 miles). Now it's at 35,000km (approx 21,000 miles) and my garage say to me that I need to change my brake pad (front). I do mainly highway, I find this a little bit strange. On my old car it was lasting way more (2 times) and I was more a city driver...

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 12:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to RhodyMike
did they mention any damage or a specific reason they need to be changed, because with normal wear they should be fine.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 05:54 AM
Michigan G6er

normal wear they should be fine but Pontiac rotors are not all that good so that might have something to do with it. just and idea. welcome

Pontac G6 Sedan 3.5L
Exterior- 8000k HIDS lows, 8000k HIDs fog lights, 20% window tint, Tinted taillights, painted grilles (top and bottom) to match, Custom painted engine cover and battery box, Red painted calipers.
Performance- Crab Intake, Racing Line Performance strut tower brace, GT-R Custom Magnaflow exhaust.
Interior- red LED's on inside, custom painted interior trim to match outside, Memphis sub and Amp, Custom fiberglass sub enclosure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 10:37 PM

Sounds like someone was hard on their brakes, I upgraded mine to ceramics (I think that semi metallic is stock), if I remember correctly the lifetime pads from Autozone were $30 and the labor for installation and turning the rotors was $100.

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP (4D)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

The pad was having like 4mm ... so they was used.

Don't understand why so fast...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 12:16 PM

I had the same - they told me new rotors, new pads all around (due to rust damage) car live inside garage and is driven highway - had to pay $800 to have all work done went back to dealer after speaking with a GM line guy who said no way should not have happened -this is a common fault with G6 - received all my money back. - Go to GM and speak with the warranty department.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 08:15 AM

Ah brakes. Having the power to stop. I think this will be the next automotive feat, now that smaller cars can't get much more powerful now that manufacturers are trying to find ways to lighten them. Motor Trend will soon Advertise "Ferrari vs BMW M3- 60-0 in 99 feet!" The heat is on.

My brakes were good at 33,000kms when I had my tires replaced. I can't recall the amount of pad left, but I'm sure I'll more than likely replace them at 40,000kms like I've done with all my vehicles in the past. It's better knowing that I can install aftermarket (stronger than OEM) rotors and better pads for under $200, total. I've boycotted the dealer where I bought my G6 at for terrible service, and even for their advertised "$79.95/hr" labour rate, I still won't go back. They know they've screwed customers and are trying to lure them back only to get screwed again.

I've had great luck with Monroe premium pads and rotors. I installed a set on the front of my Taurus three years ago, and they still have approx 40% pad left when I checked them last October. I've put 80,000kms on them so far. My Durango I had installed a front set two years ago in the spring, and have driven 78,000kms since then including a couple trips to Florida, PLUS towing the trailers on weekends and they still have 30% pad remaining. I've never had problems with Monroe, so I plan to use them on the G6 when it's time (early summer).

I drive my G6 hard in the city, but using the autostick transmission to aid in engine braking, I rarely use my brakes hard. This might be why they've lasted me. Just don't forget to consider who else drives the car, and if you are the only driver for your brakes to be GONE at 35K kms then you have to look at your driving style; speeding up for red lights, off ramps, etc, as it requires extra braking force that can easily add up. Excessive heat can also play its part and start to warp the rotors, which can wear the pads unevenly leading to early replacement. There are a lot of factors to consider as well as where you live; lots of hills; 300 feet between traffic lights that are always red when you get there, etc.

'11 Ram SXT 4x4 quad cab - 5.7L V8; 128,200kms
'09 Malibu 2Lt 3.6L - 140,000kms purchased 1 March 2019

'06 Pontiac G6 GT - 3.5L V6; 162,000kms (rear ended 15 Feb 2019, and given totalled title by insurance)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in