HID Lights? Legal Or Pull Me Over Now? - Pontiac G6 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

HID Lights? Legal Or Pull Me Over Now?

Well a friend of mine gave me a set of HID head lamp kits for my car. The light kit is the kind that replaces the stock bulbs with a Xenon arch lamp, ballast and ignitor. The color is 6000k white/blue. The kit was a Xmas present and was purchased from carhidkits site, so I do not want to offend my friend by never trying them, but at the same time I do not want to blind others on the road or get a FAT TICKET. What are the penalties if it is not legal? Heck, what is the legality of these light kits? I live in CA if that has any bearing.

Last edited by mrdell12345; 01-20-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: took out non-sponsor link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Premium Member

lol, taken almost word for word from here.

Using trusty Google, most states say it's illegal if it doesn't come from the factory with HID's, but I haven't really heard anyone on here that's had a problem doing that.

Keith

2005 G6 GT

K&N drop-in filter, Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, 50% tint all around, other than that completely stock

SOLD 11/20/2010

Last edited by KB G6; 01-19-2010 at 03:41 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Michigan G6er

I have had 8000k HIDS for over a year now and have had no problems. I would go for it, if you get pulled over they will just right you a fix it ticket.

Pontac G6 Sedan 3.5L
Exterior- 8000k HIDS lows, 8000k HIDs fog lights, 20% window tint, Tinted taillights, painted grilles (top and bottom) to match, Custom painted engine cover and battery box, Red painted calipers.
Performance- Crab Intake, Racing Line Performance strut tower brace, GT-R Custom Magnaflow exhaust.
Interior- red LED's on inside, custom painted interior trim to match outside, Memphis sub and Amp, Custom fiberglass sub enclosure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 06:11 PM

technically they are illeagle if they didnt come stock, BUT as long as you dont point them up u wont blind ppl, and as long as you dont go higher than about 8000k you ought to be just fine.

actually my cousin is a cop and he said that most cops at least around my area like to see ppl w/ HIDs as long as they do it right and dont have them pointing up nd blinding ppl, reason is they see them as being much safer than the stock halogen headlights since you can see much better as well as you can be seen by others much better lol.

2008 Pontiac G6 GT Dark Gray Metalic
Bought Feb 28 2009 with 24k miles now has 130k miles RIP Baby death snowplow 1-30-11
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4757

Carbon Black Metalic 2009 G6 GXP Coupe
Bought Oct 8 2010 with 35 miles

Mods so far: every single performance mod and a whole lot more, fastest NA G6
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7974

1/4 mile: [email protected] 109.23

Performance Red Metalic 2009 G6 GXP coupe
bought june 29 2012 with 3400 miles

Mods: RACE CAR- full race fuel setup and in the process of converting to RWD with a 6spd manual trans
https://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=13140
1/4 mile: [email protected] 101.95
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 06:35 PM

Nobody without factory installed HIDs know how to properly point the lights down because you can't adjust them on American cars. In fact, in the US our signs aren't self-illuminated like in Europe so by law your lights also have to illuminate the signs. So for a HID bulb is used in a halogen-designed vehicle that poses a problem and is illegal. You probably won't get ticketed for it, but it's a pain having the extremely blue lights blinding you. The whiter you go the less risk you have of getting a ticket but it is still there as it is a brighter, less yellow more white/blue light that isn't easy on the eyes.

Let's just say that if you are blinding a cop they aren't going to be easy on you.

2008 G6 Dark Gray Metallic SE V6
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Professional geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gapotts View Post
In fact, in the US our signs aren't self-illuminated like in Europe

Other than the tendency towards pictograms, the use of kilometers instead of miles, they are generally placed lower, and the fact that they tend to use many more, the road signs in Europe aren't different than in the US. Critical ones are made with reflective material, less critical ones are not, and unless they have added some external lighting, for the most part they depend on your car's headlamps to illuminate them.

As long as your headlights are either white or yellowish and are not overly bright or mis-aimed, you will not likely find yourself in trouble with the law for your HID conversion in California. 6000K is a nice bright color with not that much blue.

~ MattInSoCal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac G6 Forum > Technical Discussion & Modifications > General Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac G6 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in